Drill Press Has No Hole In Center Of Table, Drill One?

If you ever take a machining class you'll quickly learn a hole in the table is a mute point. One of the first rules of using a drill press we learned was to have the material in a vise, the vise secured to the table and a stop block in place in case the bit caught on the stock and moved the vise. If the instructor caught anyone drilling free hand they weren't allowed to use they machine again until the could display the proper technique and the instructor felt comfortable it would be followed.

I couldn't agree more. We had a big drill press with a 4' x 4' table for drilling our compression rubber molds on. We had holes drilled at different points of the table with a pin on a lanyard to but these plates against. I have seen some mighty big plates turn into helicopters when the bit started breaking through.

Drilling brass/bronze used to scare me, even with dubbed cutting edges. The vice was ALWAYS butted and I was pressing down on it as hard as possible.

Thanks very much for the feedback. If I end up drilling lots of flat stuff putting it in a vise would not be possible but I guess swinging the table to the side would be the correct way to handle that. A sacrificial backing plate would also be good. Maybe an aluminum and a steel one (no wood because of flatness) and use the opposite type so I know when I'm through. I could also wait until I accidentally drill into the table then drill a hole to cover my mistake ;-).

Bottom line, I do like the pristine condition of the table so I'm going to wait until some future date to drill a hole if I ever _really_ get fed up with it.

Now I'm going to drill and pipe tap the drain hole for a fitting for the coolant. Is that more acceptable?
Please try some for example “Baltic Birch” plywood. I think you will find it flat and parallel enough for drill press work.

No matter what, it's your call, we can only advise. Several things have been said here one being that if it was supposed to have a center hole it would have one. Also, these tables are cast. Depending on the mount, the webs will be different. You may have one that the webs cross in which case to drill will weaken. Again, this is your call, if you cannot live without the center hole do what you need to do. My advise, leave it as is. This is my opinion.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, about threading the drain hole in the corner of the table, could we see what the underside of the table looks like?
I am generally a fan of leaving good old stuff alone since a lot of thought has gone into making it the way it is.

All the purists can take a big sigh of relief, I'm not going to modify the table in any way. No center hole and I'm going to put a funnel below the drain hole with a 1/2" hose that way anything that makes it through the 1/4" drain hole will not likely clog the hose.

I did modify the head by replacing the matching light and motor rocker switches with a guarded safety power switch and a toggle switch for the new led lights. I'm also adding a depth DRO (clamped to the quill) and then I'm done. I'll supply pictures when I'm done.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. Back to cleaning and painting. This tool was purchased for doing projects not to be a project but I can't stop until it's right.

Ray

Personally, I don't have a problem modifying machines to work the way I want or need them to. However, that does not include laziness or carelessness.

I wouldn't drill the table. I would search out a nice X Y movable vise to mount on it. It looks large enough to accommodate a nice XY vise. That way you can drill through holes in the middle of the vise and also have X Y movement capability all the time. Should always have material in a vise or other clamping devise for drilling.

Such strong opinions! My two cents: On the day you need a hole in it drill it, but don't hit a gusset/web/whatever...and don't make it look like a wild animal chewed its way through. On the day you don't want a hole anymore, put in a dutchman. Whatever you do, try to preserve the surface finish of the table. Aside from an unblemished table looking good, it makes set-ups and cleaning easier.

Hi Ray,

Lots of good feedback above.
You obviously asked a question that many folks are passionate about.

I'll supply pictures when I'm done.
Yes, please do!

This tool was purchased for doing projects not to be a project but I can't stop until it's right.
You'll fit right in here.......:grin big:!

I keep a few chunks of wood right on my drill press base.
MDF also makes a great sacrificial table. It is cheap, it's easy on drill bits, and every piece I've measured has been quite uniform. However it may swell with cutting oil.

QUOTE="Cami, post: 349183, member: 33937"]Whatever you do, try to preserve the surface finish of the table. Aside from an unblemished table looking good, it makes set-ups and cleaning easier.[/QUOTE]

It also will vastly improve the resale value. Sure it's "new" and you have no intention of selling it today, but a few years down the road when you have a couple more drill presses (bought for their unique characteristics) you may need to clear some floor space. An unblemished table will be a big plus.

-brino

Back