Drill Press Has No Hole In Center Of Table, Drill One?

ray_oceanside

Registered
Registered
I'm in the process of rebuilding a nice older 20" Taiwanese drill press that I bought on Craigslist. Last night I just noticed that there is no hole in the center of the table. I'm thinking I would like to have a hole in the center for convenience of drilling through holes otherwise everything will have to fit in a vise. Currently the table is in perfect shape and I don't want to do this if there are unforeseen downsides.

So I'm here looking for some expert advice. Does this kind of table have a special purpose? If it is just so the cooling fluid runs to the corner drain hole? I could easily add a second catch under the center hole, I think. Anyway, looking for input.

Thanks,
Ray
Oceanside, CA
IMG_0541.JPG

Providing you are not compromising the structural integrity underneath, feel free to drill holes whenever and wherever you want. Be aware though tha tmultiple holes on a circular path are generally considered the be the "arc of shame". A well placed central hole will not offend anyone's sensibilities.

Bob

If I had to drill a through hole in something free hand I would put a thick enough piece of wood under it and stop when I got wood chips.

If the table was supposed to have a hole in it , it would have been put there. That table is in very good condition , it shows it wasn't owned by a backyard mechanic carving up a new door stop. If you want a hole to go thru get some plywood and cover the table . It's a shame to mar up a nice machine. But it's yours do what you want , yupp

Sheesh! I stand corrected! It does offend some people's sensibilities. I like aesthetics as much as the next guy but IMO, unless it is a collectible, form follows function.

As Silverbullet said, its yours to do with as you want. If you have any doubts, remember, you can drill the hole at any time but you can't take it out .

Last edited:
I would call that a "production table" (coolant trough and T-slots). It's designed to mount drill jigs/fixtures for repetitious production work. That's why it doesn't have a center hole.

Get yourself an appropriately sized drill press vise which will secure your work piece and keep the drill point off of the table. Also, a piece of aluminum tooling plate or sacrificial plywood/particle board for larger "lay it on the table" work pieces.

I presume that that members here are interested in becoming better at working with machine tools. IMO, drilling a center hole would be a step in the wrong direction.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Back