Drill Press AND a Vertical Mill???

Should I have both a mill and a drill press?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I sold my drill press. I can make holes just fie on the mill.

Setup time alone should your answer to the question. My work is small (read tiny), a commercial drill press is not really controllable. I have a "mini mill" from Horrible Fright that I use for a drill press. My milling is done on an Atlas horizontal. There are a couple of DPs for the bench and a monster floor mount DP. I lust after a BP but can't afford the weight in a wood structure. Of course, I/we also work with wood. I wouldn't want wood chips on my metal working machines. One thing to consider is that a DP can be dismantled and used on very large machinery, such as my tractor. It was a rare situation, but doable.

I have a 12 in. HF benchtop DP and a BP clone. Both get used. Yes, I could do all of it on the mill, but sometimes it is much faster and more convenient on the DP when you just need a hole. And then there's woodworking. My mill is well and truly oiled, sawdust not recommended.

Here's a d/p setup that could be done on the B/P but would certainly take longer and you would still have to re-rig the B/P back to milling setup.

Attachments

• BA03B4CF-B7AB-4427-9E9F-D5E186292F6C.jpeg
    BA03B4CF-B7AB-4427-9E9F-D5E186292F6C.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 27
Need, no, but it is nice. For simple drilling a good drill press is far faster and efficient than using a mill. I would strongly suggest a floor standing drill press over a bench top. You can always put a roll away storage unit over the foot of the floor stander, but it is really hard to gain more height if the bench top comes up short, and I've found smaller drill presses run out of room really fast.

I sold my drill press. I can make holes just fie on the mill.
Trouble with this is , other members of the family can also make holes easily on the mill ............................................right into the table most often . :cussing:

I have a knee mill,a mill/drill, and a drill press. If I was forced to let one go, it would probably be the drill press. I truly hate my flexy import floor standing drill press. But it's nice to have. What you probably don't need is an industrial rated drill press. But if I could find one for 75 bucks...

I should find a decent floor standing drill press for the simple fact that I very easily could run into a situation where I need to drill a hole on the end of a long part. I know I can kick my mill head over to the side but I can more easily do that on a drill press. I had a hazard fraught floor model but it was so floppy as to be a joke. If I still had it I'd fill the column with cement.

Finding a decent floor model drill press for a decent price has been the biggest challenge I am facing. I'm not about to drop $500 or more on one. I've been toying with the idea of bidding on one of these I recently saw in auction.

Swedish made radial drill. 7" column, 24" arm. It's a little less than 8 feet tall. Overkill?

Stor_s%C3%B8ylebormaskin,_AB_Arboga_Maskiner,_type_FR1830.jpg

Back