Drill Press AND a Vertical Mill???

Should I have both a mill and a drill press?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, I don't have a decent drill press. It's extremely shallow and doesn't have any real power. It was my Dad's so I won't get rid of it. I've thought about putting a different motor on it. But it's still to short, not a lot of travel.

I'm in the process of refurbishing, rebuilding, rehabbing, refreshing (pick a term) a 2HP Bridgeport.

Once the mill is up and running, do I really NEED a drill press? A decent floor model drill press, with something that will go down to ~200 RPM, are REALLY expensive, at least to me - I'm frugal or cheap, pick a term ;)

Thoughts?

Mostly my drill press (Powermatic) is for wood, Mill (Bridgeport clone) is for metal, though on occasion I have mixed the media up for special jobs. I’ve mortised and grooved wood on the mill, and drilled sheet metal on the press.

Of course you need both.

So, I don't have a decent drill press. It's extremely shallow and doesn't have any real power. It was my Dad's so I won't get rid of it. I've thought about putting a different motor on it. But it's still to short, not a lot of travel.

I'm in the process of refurbishing, rebuilding, rehabbing, refreshing (pick a term) a 2HP Bridgeport.

Once the mill is up and running, do I really NEED a drill press? A decent floor model drill press, with something that will go down to ~200 RPM, are REALLY expensive, at least to me - I'm frugal or cheap, pick a term ;)

Thoughts?
Yes you need both. I bought a used cheap China Chicago 12 speed drill press and repullied the lowest speed for large metal drills and tapping. It was cheap and its fast to use. Installed a cheap drum switch to reverse it. Put a old 1-1/2 hp motor I had on it and use it everyday. A drill press is just easier and faster to use and if you drill a hole in a cheap xy vise you don't cry over it. Save the mill for what it does best.

Nope. Once you have the BP. Restore Dad's drill Press and keep it for light duty hole drilling. The Bridgeport is one of the most versatile machines ever.
In a production environment yes for a drill press, home shop with BP don't waste the space.

I have a small mill and three drill presses, could probably do without one DP, but don't expect to get rid of it.

Back