Drill Press AND a Vertical Mill???

Should I have both a mill and a drill press?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes the Dremel has limitations, it is not even close to being a great mini-drill press but at right about $100 it can be handy for the occasional very small hole. A mini-mill will run $600-700 on the low end and a decent jewelers drill press runs $1500+, so most people will need to drill lots of tiny holes to make that worthwhile.

Personally I found it more than adequate for the occasional 1/8" and smaller hole before I had a small mill, and it still lives upstairs in my model room. I have found it a lot more appropriate than your typical big box store 8" drill press for tiny holes.

The last hole I needed to drill was 5/8. My little Dremel "drill press" ain't gonna cut it. I don't even get why it was brought up in the first place, hardly seems relevant. It's not even a drill press. It's a rotary tool in a jig with a handle.

The last hole I needed to drill was 5/8. My little Dremel "drill press" ain't gonna cut it. I don't even get why it was brought up in the first place, hardly seems relevant. It's not even a drill press. It's a rotary tool in a jig with a handle.

It is because small high speed drilling was brought up in a later post. I was responding to that.

Somewhat of a tangent. Not really how I was looking to test the temperature of the original question. Meh.

But the consensus overwhelmingly is yes, I need both. Now to figure out what to get.

Back