Drill chuck for mill

Well I was looking around at work and I can buy Jacob chuck direct . I see posts about them moving their production from the USA to China. Is it worth the money to buy a ball bearing chuck from them or save a buck on no name one ? My fear on the cheaper chucks is the run out . I have two china drill presses that the chucks wobble so bad they are worthless. I haven't looked into if its the shaft or the chuck.

I don't put much stock in fancy chucks, but lots of runout is bad. You could try a med-low price chuck from Grizzly and return it if unacceptable. They sent me one when I complained about runout on the chuck that came w/ my G0704 & the first replacement. I kept that better one when I sold the mill and am happy with it. I don't believe it cost all that much as listed in the catalog.
-Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at pawn shops for cheap used hand drills. Remove the chuck and chuck the rest. Het an r8 arbor for it, and presto! I have a hand drill that dosent work that eas given to me, it has a 1/2" Jacobs chuck thats waiting for an arbor. When its all said and done I will have app. $15 invested. I also have a keyless 3/8" Jacobs from a retired cordless drill thats waiting for an arbor!

Jake Parker

I've been using the 1/2 - R8 chuck that came with my Grizzly G0519 and it's been fine for everything I've used it for. Never have done a run out check on it though.

We stick with mainly 1/2 straight shank collets for drill, center finders, coax ind. etc that all have 1/2 shanks. Most our milling is with 1/2 straight shank end mills.

One could go broke buying collets especially using the Crailey monoset system..........

sam

i would sure enough go on line and buy a jacobs ball bearing super chuck. You can get them on Ebay used with the R8 arbor attached for less than 50 bucks. You will never have to worry about a bit slipping and chewing up the shaft with a super chuck. Be aware of keyless chucks that come off of old drills. They are terrible. they slip all the time. misserable. You name the brand and they still stink. Now there are some good keyless chucks made for drill presses but they cost a lot more. It would also be a good idea (like stated by others) to get a smaller chuck off of some old drill at a flea market and put it on a separate arbor for small holes.

Agree about buying an old USA made chuck on Ebay. It is always the chuck that is wobbling,not the spindle on import drill presses. I changed the chuck on a variable speed Delta made in China. At the time,I was able to get a Jacobs still made in USA. It did run true. Someone said you need the chuck to say "Hartford,Conn.",not "Jacobs USA" as the latter will be Chinese made.

The chuck that came on the Chinese Delta wobbled,but also did not grip drills well,and kept buggering up the shanks by slipping.

New guy here looking for some tooling to get started. I want a chuck for a mill and was looking around online. Do I want a R8 arbor type attachment or do I need a straight shaft style and use a collet ? Here is what I'm looking at let me know if there is a better brand or price ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyless-1-3...9?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item4ad3afc5d9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyless-1-3...4?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item4ad52e5cb8

I have used both types in the past. I feel the R8 collect version is a little easier to install and can transfer more power without slipping. Both are good choices.

Thanks again for your replies here I appreciate the help.
I was telling a friend about chuck shopping and he offered me this Jacobs #32 with a tail stock . I know need to figure out how to change the shafts on this ?

915c67a5fd654cc67100795f88098143.jpg

915c67a5fd654cc67100795f88098143.jpg

Back