Drill chuck for mill

ebgb68

Active User
Registered
I use an R8 shank. But eather one will work just fine.

Thanks for the reply . The shaft type would be quicker than pulling the collet everytime I need to drill I would think .

If you use mostley 1/2" shank tools then that is the way to go. I use 3/8" shank the most.

I would mostly use for under 3/8" but the extra capacity would be nice. I was looking at some Jacobs chucks on there I like their stuff.

I take it your mill takes R8 tapers? I'm only asking because people are often confused by the variety of collet systems out there. Any attachment that has a correct shaft to match your equipment taper will be more convenient than having to find the appropriate collet.

Shawn

Yes I believe its a R8 taper Bridgeport J head ? I was going by the shaft size on the bit for the straight shaft chuck . Swapping out straight shaft would be quicker than changing collets right ?
Don't be afraid to give your opinions I'm here to learn.
Thanks Ed

If you were going to switch from the drill chuck to an endmill with the same shank size it would be quicker but that won't happen all the time. If you had a few machines that took different collet systems the straight shank might be good as you could use the drill across them all but otherwise I would stick with the R8 shank.

I have both R8 and a 1/2" straight shank chucks. The R8 will cover all cases if your only getting one, but I use the 1/2" shank chuck more. I seem to go from edge finder to 1/2" mill to 1/2" chuck a lot. Other advantage is if you have low headroom you don't need to move z as much to change tools with the 1/2" straight shank.

Back