Drill bits

I really cheaped out and bought one of the HF 29pc TiN fractional sets, as I couldn't (can't) afford one of the full 115pc sets. It's okay - a few of the drills aren't straight, so cut oversize by a bit, others had uneven grinds and some have broken, which I've replaced by 135deg split point cobalt drills. Those are world above the 118deg point drills in the cheap set - start more easily and without a pilot hole, don't wander and cut straighter. I've reground a couple of the HF bits and as I use them now I'm taking the burrs off and honing each one on my arkansas stones, which seems to make a big difference.

For $10 I really can't complain and given the financial circumstances, I'd do the same again. I'm just looking forward to the time when I can afford a decent 135deg split point set :)

As for getting the right drill for a tap, there's usually enough wiggle room with thread depth that I just hold the drill in front of the tap and see which one works the best. For the stuff I do (mostly alu), I can get away with that.

"Someone overseas has a sick sense of humor!
Hes probably still snickering.

Jake Parker "

It's like the old cartoon of two guys in a warehouse. One says to the other "Just ship'em the one in the bin next to it. By the time they get it we'll have the right one back in stock."

I had one of those harbor freight sets. I use it for drilling wood now. I had the 1/4" bit untwist when it caught at the end of the hole while drilling a piece of 3/8" steel. I was laughing my ass off when it happened. I'd never seen a drill bit do that in my life. Soft steel, and barely case hardened.

yeah, it's not great (my 1/4 broke too :)) and the tips chip more easily than they should, but it'll do until I can afford something better or have replaced all the more useful ones! Considering a half decent 29pc fractional set is ~$60 and double that for a US set, it's pretty good value at $10.

I've had good luck with a TiN set from Grizzly. It is the full 115 piece numbered, lettered and fractional set. In hindsight that was the right thing to do.

+1 on the HF cobolt set. They really work well for me. I also have a couple of the less expensive HF set for non critical stuff.

Welcome oldwizzard1! You the same old wizzard from the GJ?

Chris

I would buy the HF 115 piece set. That way you get all of the sizes, and it's cheap. I keep several sets around, I buy them when I have a 20% off coupon. As you break them, just replace them with better quality bits. They actually work pretty well, except the grind on some of them may be wrong, but sharping drill bits is easy, and a necessary skill for the hobby machinist.

I tend to do that too, a compleat set is very handy and the most used ones get upgraded with quality brands or duplicates.

stuart

Always curious about other countries...At HF I got a set of cobalt drills years ago in a metal stand-made in Russia. Excellent to this day. It is interesting to get decent product from the "other" countries who have to have them to produce e.g. space related. When will the Chinese start offering their better machine tools?

For many years I have had to cheat on drill diameters for tapping. Yes, holding up the target bolt to the drill shank will probably get you there. Better is to look up the proper drill callout and use the decimal to mike your available drills. I always go slightly undersize to assure full thread formation, but tap breakage is possible . Use lots of lubricant. A trick I use to achieve perpindicularily is to chuck up the tap in your drill press and place the work piece in a vise. Hand turn the tap (of course it's hard) while using slight downward feed lever. Go slow and back off every 1/4 turn to dislodge chips. Try to get at least one full turn . Transfer the workpiece to a vise and carefully start the tap, letting it index in the thread. Works for me. Takes some practice. To gain some leverage during the hand turn I engage the chuck wrench which gives some purchase. Die work is trickier with limited tools. I have (in desperation) hand ground rod to an approximate od and used a die. This was on some very rough automotive tooling. (no lathe). Do not retch-remember this is the beginners' forum.:))

Always curious about other countries...At HF I got a set of cobalt drills years ago in a metal stand-made in Russia. Excellent to this day. It is interesting to get decent product from the "other" countries who have to have them to produce e.g. space related. When will the Chinese start offering their better machine tools?
I have wondered the same !

In the past and very generalized, I find that product specifically from Taiwan are better quality than those that simply say "Made in China". Example : I have a set of Neiko drills, HSS with TiN coating that have held up well over the years.

Back