Drill bits

theoldwizard1

Active User
Registered
So clearly a set on fractional drill bit is a requirement. Amy recommendations in this would be apprciated.

My real question is for tapping metal, which are more important, letter or number drills ?

So clearly a set on fractional drill bit is a requirement. Amy recommendations in this would be apprciated.

My real question is for tapping metal, which are more important, letter or number drills ?

Easy answer. All three. Just missed a good deal on a group buy for bits from Goodman. I really use mine alot now that I have them.

Buy the fractional set to start with. There are some that are common tap drill sizes in there. Buy the other ones as you need them and just store them with the tap they are for. Eventually you'll have them all.

I would buy the HF 115 piece set. That way you get all of the sizes, and it's cheap. I keep several sets around, I buy them when I have a 20% off coupon. As you break them, just replace them with better quality bits. They actually work pretty well, except the grind on some of them may be wrong, but sharping drill bits is easy, and a necessary skill for the hobby machinist.

I bought a Harbor Freight cobalt set. I think it's the 115 bit set. They stay pretty sharp and are a good value for the price you pay.

I bought a Harbor Freight cobalt set. I think it's the 115 bit set. They stay pretty sharp and are a good value for the price you pay.

I have to agree, the HF Cobalt 115 bit set is an awesome way of getting an at least semi-decent complete set of fractional, numbered and lettered bits. I only wish they had a similar set of metric bits. If you get the HF set be careful though, my set was missing the 5/16 bit and instead had two 17/64 bits - didn't figure that out until a 5/16 bolt wouldn't fit in the supposedly 5/16 hole:dunno:

I have to agree, the HF Cobalt 115 bit set is an awesome way of getting an at least semi-decent complete set of fractional, numbered and lettered bits. I only wish they had a similar set of metric bits. If you get the HF set be careful though, my set was missing the 5/16 bit and instead had two 17/64 bits - didn't figure that out until a 5/16 bolt wouldn't fit in the supposedly 5/16 hole:dunno:

Someone overseas has a sick sense of humor!
Hes probably still snickering.

Jake Parker

I'm spoiled and use mostly HOUT twist drills. But they are a "luxury" (I say that from a hobby machinist perspective) and I'm sure HF drill bits work just fine if you know how to sharpen them. And when/if they break, make punches out of them.

I would definitely start off with a 29 pc fractional set if limited on funds. I'm not a big fan of the TiN coated drills though, I prefer black oxide & cobalt. I do still have my TiN set but I don't care for them much & abuse them sometimes.

I also have a 115 cobalt set from HF. For the price & 25% off it's a worthy buy. The drill index it comes with is junk though, i tossed it out & replaced it with a Huot 115 index.

I also have a 115 cobalt set from HF. For the price & 25% off it's a worthy buy. The drill index it comes with is junk though, i tossed it out & replaced it with a Huot 115 index.
Huot get my vote for the best index also !

Back