Drill bit sharpener

I spent a few hours working through each setting and went to each extreme to feel out how they effect the split point. While I haven't gotten to a perfectly clean split I have gotten a very decent serviceable 135⁰ split point.

I tested the last 3 bits on rusty steel and they cut beautifully with zero damage to the tip or outer edges. The clearance behind the cutting edge is not aggressive but it is sufficient for a quick clean cut. With moderate feed the holes are extremely clean and nicely round.

View attachment 479104

It would have been nice to have this from the factory but it takes some work.

Aliexpress has the spare wheels for $45 plus tax and shipping. $60 shipped.

I'm much more pleased with it now than I was when I bought it.
the edge on that looks a little jagged. Is it the burr, or the coarse wheel? Do they sell a finer wheel?

I hate hand sharpening drill bits.....I can do it, but I'm ocd. It's gotta be perfect. It ends up taking forever.

So I bought this.

MRCM Drill bit Sharpener for High-Speed Steel, Masonry, Carbide, Cobalt, & TiN-Coated Drill Bits,with Adjustable Angles from 90° to 135°,Sharpens 3mm-20mm Drill Bits… (MR-20G)

So far 118⁰ bits are stupid easy. The base angles on 135⁰ are stupid easy.

Right now I have it set to properly split the point but I'm still working on duplicating the factory relief angle behind the cutting edge. My clearance isn't as pronounced as the factory grind but I'll get it figured out.

I've done several 135⁰ split points that cut beautifully but they look odd. Lol!

It is satisfying to watch the chips evenly curl off both edges as it cuts in steel. The machine definitely leaves a decent finish. It cuts true. So far I'm pretty excited. I drilled a bunch of holes with drill bits as I sharpened them and they cut true and broke through without damage.

I don't have any good pictures yet.

I would love to hear opinions on 118⁰ vs 135⁰ split point for the machine shop. I've mostly just duplicated what is already on the drill. The 135⁰ split point seems to have the advantage for starting without walking but it seems like 118⁰ cut truer to size and leaves a rounder hole.

Saw this video a few weeks back by Stephan Gotteswinter. He bought what looks to be a high-end German made version of that same style of sharpener.

All this talk of sharpeners, does anybody have an opinion on the Tormek drill sharpening attachment? I was thinking about getting one and setting it up for use on the bench grinder with a CBN wheel.

It's nice to see the tool in the first post works good and will do a 3/4" bit. I'll keep that one in mind.

Back