Drill bit sharpener

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I hate hand sharpening drill bits.....I can do it, but I'm ocd. It's gotta be perfect. It ends up taking forever.

So I bought this.

MRCM Drill bit Sharpener for High-Speed Steel, Masonry, Carbide, Cobalt, & TiN-Coated Drill Bits,with Adjustable Angles from 90° to 135°,Sharpens 3mm-20mm Drill Bits… (MR-20G)

So far 118⁰ bits are stupid easy. The base angles on 135⁰ are stupid easy.

Right now I have it set to properly split the point but I'm still working on duplicating the factory relief angle behind the cutting edge. My clearance isn't as pronounced as the factory grind but I'll get it figured out.

I've done several 135⁰ split points that cut beautifully but they look odd. Lol!

It is satisfying to watch the chips evenly curl off both edges as it cuts in steel. The machine definitely leaves a decent finish. It cuts true. So far I'm pretty excited. I drilled a bunch of holes with drill bits as I sharpened them and they cut true and broke through without damage.

I don't have any good pictures yet.

I would love to hear opinions on 118⁰ vs 135⁰ split point for the machine shop. I've mostly just duplicated what is already on the drill. The 135⁰ split point seems to have the advantage for starting without walking but it seems like 118⁰ cut truer to size and leaves a rounder hole.

That looks very similar to a drill doctor.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I've always hand sharpened my drills...

But the older I get, the less my eyes work well enough to be able to, so a few years ago, I bought a Drill Doctor. It works good for me.

A while back, a coworker offered me two other sharpeners... a Darex M4 and a Darex M5... $150 for both. I couldn't turn that down, so now I have 3.

The Drill Doctor does as good a job as the other two... it's just a little more 'fiddly' to get it set up.

As far as the two different angles... I think the 135 degree point is more suited to metals, where the 118 degree is best suited to softer materials, such as wood.

-Bear

I've always hand sharpened my drills...

But the older I get, the less my eyes work well enough to be able to, so a few years ago, I bought a Drill Doctor. It works good for me.

A while back, a coworker offered me two other sharpeners... a Darex M4 and a Darex M5... $150 for both. I couldn't turn that down, so now I have 3.

The Drill Doctor does as good a job as the other two... it's just a little more 'fiddly' to get it set up.

As far as the two different angles... I think the 135 degree point is more suited to metals, where the 118 degree is best suited to softer materials, such as wood.

-Bear

My drill doctor was a bad joke. Any differences in the helix and it failed.

$700 will buy a lot of drills.

I hand sharpened drills for many years before I bought a Drill Doctor. It took a little practice to get a proper grind but it now does a good grind. I don't bother with the split point and just grind a 118º point.

I watched both Winky videos and looked at the Vevor web site. The machine is several steps up from the Drill Doctor in design, quality, and construction IMO. At less than $300, it isn't that big a step up from the Drill Doctor 750X. Were I doing it again knowing what I know now, I would go with the Vevor.

$700 will buy a lot of drills.

I hand sharpened drills for many years before I bought a Drill Doctor. It took a little practice to get a proper grind but it now does a good grind. I don't bother with the split point and just grind a 118º point.

I watched both Winky videos and looked at the Vevor web site. The machine is several steps up from the Drill Doctor in design, quality, and construction IMO. At less than $300, it isn't that big a step up from the Drill Doctor 750X. Were I doing it again knowing what I know now, I would go with the Vevor.
A little cheaper here...

I have been doing 4 facet grinds on my D-bit grinder. It works just fine. I also have the option of sharpening on my T & G grinder using a work head with collets. That also gives me a 4 facet grind.

If anyone is interested, Riverview Surplus in Moline IL has some Atlas drill grinding attachments that fit any bench grinder. His number is 309-797-9400. If anyone is interested, I could pick them up and ship them, asking only for the cost of postage. I have not priced them, as I already have one, but I suspect they will be less than $20. I can provide a copy of the instructions.

Back