Drill bit sets, what type?

I'm confused with Norseman/Viking as to who is what. I've seen listings posted as Viking by Norseman, they both share the same address in St Paul Minnesota.

You can always just buy the bits you need and skip the set. like Bruce, I mostly use the shorter Stubby length but have both jobber and stubby length for many sizes. I keep 3 to 10 bits for the smaller diameters and at least two of 1/4" and up. I started with all the misc drill bits that I had in various boxes and then over time purchased bits to fill out the gaps. I use three Huot storage boxes. One for # bits, one for Fractional bits and one for Letter size. Expensive solution but one of the best organizational choices I have made. Like was also mentioned above, Drill bits are one of the most used tools in the shop.

I really like the Chicago-Latrobe drill bits. They're not cheap, but they cut through steel like butter.
I can +1 Chicago-Latrobe drills. My set has lasted for years, and I'm an idiot who abused the crap out of his drills until I learned better. Breaking off a drill inside of your work really sucks, so I'd rather spend the money up front and get something better. Drills seem like one of those places where it reaaaally pays not to skimp.

I can't believe, (well, I guess I can...) no one suggested buying just the drills you need. as you need them. If you want a set, sit down with a drill chart and order one each of the tap and clearance sizes. And maybe fractions. Unless you are expecting to do drill/ream work, What else do you need!
Buy the best available, you'll pay far less than buying a set a high percentage of which you may never use.

I can't believe, (well, I guess I can...) no one suggested buying just the drills you need. as you need them. If you want a set, sit down with a drill chart and order one each of the tap and clearance sizes. And maybe fractions. Unless you are expecting to do drill/ream work, What else do you need!
Buy the best available, you'll pay far less than buying a set a high percentage of which you may never use.
There's a lot of merit to this, but I'd also say that buying a set of drills can be quite handy if you have the money for it. Being able to step up through sizes to make a large hole in some really tough material has been invaluable for me, and I wouldn't have been able to do that if I hadn't purchased a full set. I buy individual drills for projects (typically Walter Titex high helix drills because those things are freaking awesome), but I've always been really glad to have my nice Chicago-Latrobe index.

EDIT: I guess it comes down to a trade-off between being efficient with your money and having extra flexibility in your shop. I'm at a point where I can make the trade-off and have more flexibility, but it all comes down to one's situation and disposition.

EDIT: I should also mention, everything I've said above applies to buying a nice set. I've never had any luck with import drill sets, so I'm specifically referring to sets made by consistently high-quality manufacturers that will set you back a fair quantity of spondulix.

Last edited:
+1 on the value of a set! It's nice to be able to pick 75% or 90% thread depth and be able to go up just a tad on a hole.
Setting up a tap n drill block is well worth your time!

I like vertical organizers for my drills. I had a classic folder for decades, and finally decided that wasn't my "right choice". Super happy with the change!
2761505f12fc71904bd6eae183fb5759.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I tend to buy "just what I need" for lots of things, but a fractional set is worth it in my opinion. I use all the drills in my jobber set from
time to time: not just for machining but all over the house. And, it's major pain to run out to the store to buy a drill bit just
to get a job done.

Back