Drain your compressors

You and Darkzero have the drain moved next to a leg. Duh, why the heck didn't I think of that?
Sometimes I do things that make me feel awfully dumb.

I did exactly what you did and then got tired of it in the way and changed it. So you are not alone.

This was my first "real" machining project. Got the flex line but wanted a more secure way of managing it (sometimes the flex line would get away from me and go nuts spraying air everywhere).

Attachments

• 20210205_073215.jpg
    20210205_073215.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
Most of the pressure sensing auto drains tie into the unloader and cycle for a couple of seconds every time the compressor unloads.

Yeah, I think everyone extends those damn drains, how inconvenient the stock placement is. I don't know about anyone else, but particularly if you run it quite a lot on a project, I drain it afterwards and the following day when I run/refill again, when I first fire it up, hit the drain again after you have about 20#'s built up. All the moisture and condensation builds up at the bottom AFTER it has been drained. I've blown out what looks like a solid 1/2 cup or more. Once a year when I go through and maintain the compressor, I will remove drain and give a decent spritz of WD40 in the tank. Not much extra work and I'll tell ya, I am not looking forward to a tank explosion one day. If you buy a good compressor and take good care of it, why wouldn't you want to keep it "forever", but I fear they are not meant to be kept forever.

I bought a drain valve for truck air brake tanks. It has a 5' length of cable attached. Just pull on the cable until the balve quirs spewing water. I don't mind if I get water on the floor.

I’ve cut open several 20-30 gallon compressor tanks to convert to grills. All have a lot of rust inside. Some way more than others. I’ve started draining more often after seeing how thin in spots some are

Attachments

• 00CC411A-CCE5-4219-BE8B-1B2334202EFD.jpeg
    00CC411A-CCE5-4219-BE8B-1B2334202EFD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Back