Dorian "First Time Buyer" QCTP and Holder set - beware!

No MSC was helpful. They didn't want to risk me getting another one of theirs and said I should get one straight from Dorian.
But check out this email I received from Dorian.

Duane

I got with my production manager about this issue & she informed me that all of our tool posts have that defect on them due to the material. It was the way that we received the raw material. They were unable to clean them up any further without effecting critical dimensions on the post. We can send you out another post with a new order from MSC but we can’t guarantee that the new post that you receive will be 100% blemish free.

N****** H | Customer Service Representative

Dorian Tool International | ISO 9001:2008 Certified

615 CR 219, East Bernard, TX 77435

Direct Line: 979.398.****

n****@doriantool.com | www.doriantool.com

That sucks, can't believe you got two with finish issues. I too I would not accept it in that condition.

I agree, MSC was helpful in not wanting to send you another from their stock, meaning they don't want it to happen again. As well as Dorian being helpful working with you & the vendor. That was my experience with Dorian & Travers, they worked together to get me what I was supposed to get. Same experience I had with GTS (Gator supplier) because of a cosmetic issue. I've dealt with other companies where a cosmetic issue would not be a valid reason for return, believe it or not Enco was one of those companies. At least they did end up offering a discount but I had to fight for a return.

Hopefully they do take care of you.

So Dorian says they'd known that they were shipping blemished products! More evidence of poor company culture at play. Or worse yet, one that's struggling financially.

Looks like Dorian also put the monkey back on you to get MSC to issue a new order for them to ship you one direct. Don't you think MSC may balk at that? I'm betting MSC will think they've paid for it already!

Another sad commentary on Dorian.

A bit disappointing, but it does not affect the function. Still if a manufacturer gets material in that doesn't meet their specs, then it should not be used. I guess over time I have gotten my share of dings and dents on equipment, so I guess it comes down to how important looks are to you. I have the same Dorian QCTP and functionally it has worked well and been very repeatable. At this point I wouldn't hold out for a perfect looking tool post from Dorian, but if you want to return it, I would suggest sending it back to MSC and getting an Aloris. Unfortunately Aloris just had their online sale, which would have been a good time to pick up the QCTP and a bunch of holders. Most of my holders are from Aloris and very nicely made, I got tired of the few Dorian #2 holders I have being completely different (i.e. guess what is in the box). I also found more recently on a Dorian threading holder that one of the bolts threads were cut incorrectly, yet they still managed to forcibly screw it into the hole. So it seems like the QC is becoming more of an issue.

Unfortunately that's how most manufacturers are that don't sell direct, you have to go through a distributor/retailer even if in the end they drop ship direct and/or you have talked to them direct. This is not limited to just machining related either. Some manufacturer's won't even respond to small time consumers.

Looks like Dorian's QC is going down again. They got better at one point but now it looks like they're going backwards. I bet it's the fault of one or a few key people, maybe new hires? I hear the same type of thing happened at Bison/TMX a few years back.

If I were in the same shoes I'd just go with an Aloris already if I couldn't wait for some reason. But if I could wait, I'd look for a DTM. I couldn't find one at the time so I went with Dorian. Luckily my Dorian had no issues & I still think it's the better TP, but just the TP only, still not a fan of most of their holders.

High expectations, low prices = kits waiting for final fitting by the user;). one size fits all:p:rolleyes:

Now MSC wants to send me a post from their stock. I was told they would wait until the new batch came in from Dorian on the 30th of June.
Check out this latest email.

RE: Tool post

NH
. Press the Enter key to open the contact card." style="unicode-bidi: embed; direction: ltr; user-select: text; cursor: pointer;">Natasha Horelica <nhorelica@doriantool.com>

|
Today, 7:20 PM
You

You replied on 6/15/2017 7:22 PM.

The new batch will still have the blemishes.

Natasha Horelica | Customer Service Representative

Dorian Tool International | ISO 9001:2008 Certified

615 CR 219, East Bernard, TX 77435

Direct Line: 979.398.3227

nhorelica@doriantool.com | www.doriantool.com

Please send all orders and inquires to our sales email at : sales@doriantool.com

Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:18 PM
To: Natasha Horelica <nhorelica@doriantool.com>
Subject: Re: Tool post

I'll wait for the new batch.

You said end of June if I remember correctly, correct?

Duane

I was called by a Dorian tech guy today. Apologized for the posts looking like regejects but assured me it doesn't affect performance. Yeah, I wonder how much they ground off trying to fix the blemish. He said they are trying to keep the blemishes to a minimum of 25% coverage.
I guess there is a new run happening and I could get one of those sometime in July. I told him I used it and his tune changded. Said he'd have to talk to production.

Personally, I would return it to MSC and order an Aloris in exchange. My Dorian is perfectly smooth and finished on the outside but if they are now accepting surface defects of the kind you've gotten, they can keep it. Functionally, an Aloris is the same as a Dorian.

That sucks, hopefully they take care of you but if they can't guarantee no blemishes like that on the next one, I personally would return it & go with something else. Surprising how some companies are so helpful & others that you wouldn't expect are not.

A couple years ago I purchased a Gator chuck from All Industrial, it was drop shipped directly from GTS. I noticed the top jaws had some minor voids, all cosmetic, wouldn't affect functionality. For the heck of it I emailed GTS & asked if they cared about the quality of their chucks even though they are made in China.

To my surprise their VP of operations, Andrew, replied back to me personally. This is the same person who used to be the VP of operations at Bison & left. He told me that they did care & would replace the chuck. But they were out of stock & their next shipment wasn't due for another 2 months. He told me to go ahead & use the chuck in meantime. 2 months later they kept their word & replaced it, also covered the shipping to return the old one.

Img_1182.jpg

Back