Don't Want To Start A Fight But

mirage100

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need a new lathe at my vacation house as was wondering if there is a make of a lathe that REALLY Stands out. This is not a machine shop. This is for me. I got two in my shop here a Southbend tool room lathe and a C&J big lathe. I got a nice shop set up at the vacation house but I ALWAY need to do something on a lathe. This will be a import lathe I am sure. Just checking for something new and GREAT. NO FIGHTING .. Thanks for any help.

Well, that's a wide open question. What swing, what budget, are there any other constraints such as power, weight, delivery considerations?
What does "great" mean to you?

Steve Shannon

5 grand is the top. Great means A great deal for the money, a lot of accessories, high quality, cant't believe what you get for the price . Swing 10in, Can run phase converter , No weight concerns. Delivery would be to Idaho. Can go get if close but nothing is so it would have to be shipped . Thanks for the reply.

The question is too vague, and like Steve says, is too subject to interpretation/opinion with regards to your "GREAT' comment. For example, you own a SB. I wouldn't own one, but that's just me. I would suggest you narrow the specifics down a bit to keep the responses useful.

Last edited:
Ok be adventurest , get on alibaba site and search . I looked at mills on there and found a real nice one looks a lot like most being bought else where for thee times as much as having it shipped in , but I'm close to a seaport here in NJ . With an 1000 mm length work table, Dros on three axis, power table feed , tapping reverse feature. With the shipping to Philadephia cost under $2,000 , one like the pm series was $2,500 . I got lots of offers and some really good looking machines from china and Thailand . If I had the money I would have ordered the one with the longer table option ?? Don't cost anything to look .

The only thing you really did not define, and you need to, is what material are you working in most of the time? Cast iron is going to have way different needs than aluminum or Delrin or????

There's an SB 10k on Craiglist for $5k that is described as nearly new (and the pictures seem to agree).

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Be careful you don't buy a METRIC ONLY lathe. That 1000mm bed length makes me wonder if the lathe is metric only. Why didn't they list the bed length in INCHES?

Back