Don't care, I simply want the best!

Ian--if they don't make a hex collet in er32--then why not just use a regular keyed chuck on a shaft and mount it in your er32 collet---nothing wrong with a keyed chuck for using your hole saws---Dave
You could also just make a short shaft with a hole for the hole saw shaft to fit into and use three set screws to hold it tight and the shaft long enough to fit in your er32---that way it wouldn't cost anything --Dave

Last edited:
are you talking about hole saws that just screw onto an arbor and can be found at big box stores? if so I would just by a blank chuck arbor and machine it. That would be the most rigid & accurate set-up you are going to get, not to mention the cheapest.

Can someone here, please advise me on the BEST 1/2" Keyless Drill Chuck please, but wait... let's not go off half cocked.

I have a multitude of machines, and a lot of them have reasonably good German made keyless chucks, BUT... they ALL lock up after I use Starret Hole Saws, and they are really quite hard to undo, because the hex just seems to lock them up.

Apparently, this can be quite common across the board in the keyless range, according to a Tool Maker friend of mine.

So,I am after a 1/2" keyless unit, that WON'T lock up after use. Not too concerned about any other factors, simply the type of build that allows me to use my hole saws, without me having to trash my chucks.

I reside in Australia, so if anyone can point me in the right direction of a local supplier here, that would be cool.

They lock up because they are not designed for that kind of torque, they are for precision hole drilling. If you are using a chuck you should have a Jacobs Ball chuck, yes you need a key a but you will not wreck a good chuck when keyless chucks lock they twist and distort. We used up to 20 n over that tapered shanks in our Lucas boring mills and Jig bores. Jacob chucks are designed to handle the torque I've actually twisted drill shanks with them.
Todd

I agree with todd, get a nice 16N jacobs or 20N if you can find one on ebay that doesnt require a first born. keyless just doesnt have the ass in the pants to do what you want i think. I found a hex r8 on the nets for about 40., but i dont know if it will close well enough for you, and at 40, youre right at the cost of a super chuck.

The "best" according to who?

Your best may not be the same as my best, or vice versa.

Ever noticed that many manufacturers regularly claim that thiers is the best?

THAT'S what I need!!!
Me too. I have a bunch of good hole saws, but no good arbor for the mill. That's fantastic! With that R8 arbor you won't even need the center dril, SWEET!

Me too. I have a bunch of good hole saws, but no good arbor for the mill. That's fantastic! With that R8 arbor you won't even need the center dril, SWEET!

If you use a drill press, I would still use a center drill, as drill presses usually have a lot more slop in them.

The "best" according to who?

Your best may not be the same as my best, or vice versa.

Ever noticed that many manufacturers regularly claim that thiers is the best?

This is why I always add "IMHO". No hassle that way. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

"Billy G"

Back