Don't care, I simply want the best!

Ian Bee

Active User
Registered
Can someone here, please advise me on the BEST 1/2" Keyless Drill Chuck please, but wait... let's not go off half cocked.

I have a multitude of machines, and a lot of them have reasonably good German made keyless chucks, BUT... they ALL lock up after I use Starret Hole Saws, and they are really quite hard to undo, because the hex just seems to lock them up.

Apparently, this can be quite common across the board in the keyless range, according to a Tool Maker friend of mine.

So,I am after a 1/2" keyless unit, that WON'T lock up after use. Not too concerned about any other factors, simply the type of build that allows me to use my hole saws, without me having to trash my chucks.

I reside in Australia, so if anyone can point me in the right direction of a local supplier here, that would be cool.

for a drill? mill? lathe? what taper?

just going off in another direction - is it possible to find another bit for your operation other than the starrett hole saws that might remove the issue of bits stuck in chucks?

for a drill? mill? lathe? what taper?

just going off in another direction - is it possible to find another bit for your operation other than the starrett hole saws that might remove the issue of bits stuck in chucks?

Mainly for my mill. Sometimes on one of my drill presses.

I find the Starrett saws extremely efficient for what I need to do, as a lot of times, I simply use them to cut a lot of discs that I use on different jobs.

As far as taper is concerned, doesn't matter. The few chucks I use under the mill have had their tapers cut and modified to 22.0 mm. to simply fit into my ER32, saving me a lot of time.

Cheers

Ian

IMHO if you want the best you want a Albrecht Drill Chuck. You can get them in any taper for any machine you wish.

"Billy G"

If you are using a large hole saw or large drill in a keyless chuck it will self tighten onto it more with more drill resistance. That makes it tighten itself up very tight. I have several Albrecht chucks and if they are drilling with alot of resitance they are difficult to loosen when done.
I have been wanting to build a release tool that would amount to a piece of 1/4" aluminum with a hole in it that the chuck body would fit in....with a sloted end and a pinch bolt with a wingnut or cross handle...then when the chuck over tightens on a dificult to drill job the "wrench" would be slipped up over the chuck body tightened on it and would serve as a handle to loosen the chuck.
If using a hole saw that is bigger than the chuck body.....then one would have to get creative and make a hinged side in order to get the wrench on.
The hole saws I have have hex shafts so a keyless self tightening chuck is kinda overkill.....maybe a hex collet to drive the holesaw with?

Ian---what I would do is to buy a hex collet to use in your er32 collet holder, and eliminate the chuck---Dave

Ian---what I would do is to buy a hex collet to use in your er32 collet holder, and eliminate the chuck---Dave
I like that answer! You'll save a lot of money, have a more rigid setup, and save your drill chucks from premature wear.

If you are using a large hole saw or large drill in a keyless chuck it will self tighten onto it more with more drill resistance. That makes it tighten itself up very tight. I have several Albrecht chucks and if they are drilling with alot of resitance they are difficult to loosen when done.
I have been wanting to build a release tool that would amount to a piece of 1/4" aluminum with a hole in it that the chuck body would fit in....with a sloted end and a pinch bolt with a wingnut or cross handle...then when the chuck over tightens on a dificult to drill job the "wrench" would be slipped up over the chuck body tightened on it and would serve as a handle to loosen the chuck.
If using a hole saw that is bigger than the chuck body.....then one would have to get creative and make a hinged side in order to get the wrench on.
The hole saws I have have hex shafts so a keyless self tightening chuck is kinda overkill.....maybe a hex collet to drive the holesaw with?

Okay..."maybe a hex collet to drive the holesaw with?" This is opening up some new possibilities! Any such thing for ER32?

Cheers

Ian

I don't think you are going to find a hex collet in er32. What is your mill. Does the hole saw have a true hex.My hole saw has 3 flats on A round shank and It holds just fine in a er40 collet or R8.

Back