Don't care, I simply want the best!

Can someone here, please advise me on the BEST 1/2" Keyless Drill Chuck please, but wait... let's not go off half cocked.

I have a multitude of machines, and a lot of them have reasonably good German made keyless chucks, BUT... they ALL lock up after I use Starret Hole Saws, and they are really quite hard to undo, because the hex just seems to lock them up.

Apparently, this can be quite common across the board in the keyless range, according to a Tool Maker friend of mine.

So,I am after a 1/2" keyless unit, that WON'T lock up after use. Not too concerned about any other factors, simply the type of build that allows me to use my hole saws, without me having to trash my chucks.

I reside in Australia, so if anyone can point me in the right direction of a local supplier here, that would be cool.

I think a lot of the answers are going in the wrong direction. You are only using a hole saw, so you need strength and easy change not the accuracy of an expensive Albright chuck. I use hole saws all the time and in terible situations, I have never had a simple Jacobs chuck fail. Forget about self tightening. And then use one of the hole saw arbors that has the easy release on it. (always tape the collar after applying with electrical tape to prevent it rattling loose.) So buy a simple arbor to fit your milling machine with an appropriate thread for a chuck and you are done. Save those expensive chucks for when you need accuracy.

Back