Does tooling really cost that much?

If you have to produce X number of parts in a fixed period of time it is often beneficial to buy a tool made for the specific application that you are running, this tool may not last a single part in a different material or machine.
Buy the tooling that fits your needs, if an inexpensive HSS tool makes the part that you require have at it even if you have to buy 2 $20.00 tools.
If you need to make 10,000 parts then a $200.00 tool may be well worth the price.

Choose wisely.

Oh oh.... Do we have some erector set collectors here? ...
Hi KBeitz,

I had a rather large collection, somewhere around 350 sets. But I regained my sanity (?) about 5 years ago and started selling. I'm down to under 100 sets at this time. I used to edit the newsletter for the A. C. Gilbert Heritage Society (www.acghs.org). If you hit the web site, you'll find a downloadable guide book I wrote over 10 years ago. Really should update it one of these days.

Bruce

I've watched a few endmill videos, going to town on some material. I was curious how they compared to the endmills that I see being used at work. I have no idea what brand anything we use at work, so I thought I would look at these endmills in the videos first. I found a Sandvik Coroman 3/8" endmill and it cost $190~... This got me wondering a bit. Is this a very expensive endmill or something? Do other types of tools such as drills and taps costs this much? I've witnessed one copper job eat a few taps. Lathes go though 35 deg finishing inserts on stainless steel.

Thanks,
Awaqa909
If you need to run many parts per day unattended then the difference between a $19.00 tool and a $190.00 tool will soon become apparent.
Choose Wisely

Back