Does tooling really cost that much?

Hi Ken,

I didn't mention the rest of the haul. Walked away with around 100 spotting drills and center drills too (KEO in carbide and cobalt HSS) . . . Something about the blind squirrel finding a nut every once in a while.

Bruce

Bruce, ever think of adopting a 72 year old? I'm toilet trained and don't talk much. :)

Bruce, ever think of adopting a 72 year old? I'm toilet trained and don't talk much. :)
Thanks for the kind offer, but my wife and I are REALLY looking forward to being empty nesters in a few months! Our daughter will finish up law school next year and moved out 5 years ago. Our son has been going to community college the last two years and is heading out to a 4-year school on August 24 (not that we're watching the date . . .).

Bruce

I did an inventory six months ago, and at today's prices, I'd have to spend $4000 for the tool holders, HSSand carbide, extra chucks collets, tailstock accessories for my $2000 lathe. That's 38 years of accumulation.

- I've been more frugal for my mill. at a rough gues, tilt table, rotary table, cutters, hold downs, wrenches, I"m close to $2000. Not a cheap hobby.

Hi Guys,

Come on ! This is a hobby ! If you're in business and making money, yes good tools are money, and worth every penny.
A hobbyist doesn't need to go to extremes unless he wants to !

I only buy what I need to do whatever I'm working on at the moment, assuming that I don't already have something that I can use.
I personally like to make the tools that I want to make, sometimes in order to do another job, sometimes just because I want to.

I've watched a few endmill videos, going to town on some material. I was curious how they compared to the endmills that I see being used at work. I have no idea what brand anything we use at work, so I thought I would look at these endmills in the videos first. I found a Sandvik Coroman 3/8" endmill and it cost $190~... This got me wondering a bit. Is this a very expensive endmill or something? Do other types of tools such as drills and taps costs this much? I've witnessed one copper job eat a few taps. Lathes go though 35 deg finishing inserts on stainless steel.

Thanks,
Awaqa909
I only do it has a hobby so I get most of mine off ebay. you can get some good deals.

One of the best ways to save money on end mills is to use a shaper for roughing and the $$$ end mills to finish. When your dirt cheap shaper bit gets dull a quick touch up on the grinder and you're good to go.................Bob

Back