Does anyone own a Grizzly G0720R ? ? ?

We'll not have any bashing of a personal choice someone makes on their machines. It's what a person has, and maybe all they CAN have, so we support them. Might be all they want. There are a million reasons to consider.

And btw, in the industrial world, Haas are lightweight throw away machines anyway, so you really need a better example. But this is a hobby site, and not many will be able to get even a Haas.

Huh? I'm not bashing anyone's personal choice, the guy asked my opinion about a machine he was considering and I gave it based on my actual experience with a similar machine. Isn't that how it works? Sorry I couldn't recommend it but I'm not going to sugar coat it when my experience with a machine was that bad. I own 5 brand new Grizzly hobby class machines including a new G4003G lathe. I'm perfectly happy with all of them but they are well made, my mill was not. It failed to do what the manufacture said it could, not even close.

As for Haas being throw away come on. Yes you can destroy a Haas or any lighter duty industrial mill but pounding on one expecting it to hold up like a Mazak that cost 3x as much isn't realistic. Lower cost lighter duty mills are a good thing, that puts these used machines within reach of the hobbyist.

So if anyone was offended I apologize but I'm not going to change my opinion on these square column bench mills. I'm also not saying its a Haas or nothing. I (and others) just recommended a Grizzly knee style hobby class mill or used knee mill in the other thread where a guy was looking for an opinion on a decked out round column mill.

PS: The only non-Asian import machine I own is a 1952 Delta radial arm saw so anyone thinking I'm biased against Asian import machines just relax. Here's a list of the machines I purchased this past year after buying my new house.

Grizzly G4003G Gunsmith lathe
Grizzly G0696X 12" Table Saw
Grizzly G0514X2B 19" Band Saw
Grizzly Go490 8" jointer with Byrd Shelix cutterhead
Grizzly 6" cyclone dust collector
Shop Fox Heavy Mortiser
Delta 18" Drill Press
Powermatic 15HH planer

Last edited:
We'll not have any bashing of a personal choice someone makes on their machines. It's what a person has, and maybe all they CAN have, so we support them. Might be all they want. There are a million reasons to consider.

And btw, in the industrial world, Haas are lightweight throw away machines anyway, so you really need a better example. But this is a hobby site, and not many will be able to get even a Haas.

But they can read the honest opinions of those with experience and use them to help decide what to buy. I know that some here believe that I am making a mistake in trying to convert a drill press into a mill. I don't feel "bashed": I feel informed. I value those opinions, though I am going ahead anyway because there are other considerations.

If a guy had experience with the machine in question sure. But when you throw a net across every square column, hell every bench mill period, thats not experience, fact, or even a proper opinion. In fact, it's a rant that is counter to bout every opinion I have read on here from members of their own machines.

You cant have an experienced opinion on every bench mill, based on a mill thats not even in question any more then I can call it a good machine, having never seen one.

I have two suggestions - first call Grizzly and see if the guys in customer service can tell you if there are any plastic gears in the head. If they are all metal, then your fears about plastic gears are out the window. Second - have you considered the small knee mills like the G0730, G3103, etc.? The large 8 x 30 offers a similar if not slightly larger work envelope, a true knee type design, and belt drive - some versions even have a built in VFD. They range in price from a little less to a little more than the G0720. I don't have experience with any of these - I have a round column bench mill and a G0704 (that I converted to belt drive). Just a couple thought based on the OP's original concerns about plastic gears.

Guys, I don't want to add fuel to the fire here, but let's try to remember that we have to be careful when making equipment comparisons.

To illustrate, you could dig the Grand Canyon with this:

shovel.jpg

or you could use one of these:

001.jpg

But the way you go about getting the job done with either one would be totally different from the other, and the fact that it would go much faster with one piece of equipment does not mean that the other is a piece of junk.

Both machines in the following photo are similar in that they are both loaders, they are both yellow, and they are both the same brand:

002.jpg

But the differences between the two are so great that you cannot even begin to compare the two or say that one is bad because of a poor experience with the other.

We need to be very careful when offering advice based on experience with machinery that is similar to a specific brand or model. Sometimes those similarities are few and far between.

shovel.jpg 001.jpg 002.jpg

If a guy had experience with the machine in question sure. But when you throw a net across every square column, hell every bench mill period, thats not experience, fact, or even a proper opinion. In fact, it's a rant that is counter to bout every opinion I have read on here from members of their own machines.

You cant have an experienced opinion on every bench mill, based on a mill thats not even in question any more then I can call it a good machine, having never seen one.

Perhaps you missed my first post where I recommend he consider the G0729 Vertical Mill with Power Feed which is only $100 more than the mill he's looking at. Here have one of these :whiteflag:

Now where was I...oh yeah todays the day I install the DROPROS EL400 on the lathe :yeahbaby:

Last edited:
I'm not so sure the plastic gear issue is that big of a deal. I crashed the cutter on my G0704 and wrecked that gear one day, but the biggest issue was they weren't in stock for a number of months. When they finally were, I bought three and told my friend with the same mill to buy at least one. Of course, now that I have spares I haven't wrecked it since. It was easy to change, too.

If something has a sacrificial gear of that sort, just make sure you order an extra when you buy the mill. Or, you could consider a G0729 for about the same price (and it's made in Taiwan so the quality is supposed to be better.) For a bit more you can get the larger version of that one, too. Then you've got an actual knee unless you want/need a benchtop mill.

Grizzly's customer service has been outstanding when I needed it, but I don't think you'll really get much help making a decision. They sell a zillion things and never seemed *that* well informed about anything I ever asked about. Users (like us) are way more on top of it.

If you are looking for a smaller, square column-type bench top mill, the plastic gear is somewhat common. Don't let that scare you off from buying one. Theirs plenty of folks out here that can help you with their knowledge to overcome any small problems that may arise with whichever machine you choose.

Pat

The plastic gear isn't a problem. I have had my G0704 Scence thay came out almost.I did strip the plastic gear once but it was all my fault. I was to lazy to change the 2" face mill and tryed to cut 1/2" tool steel. :nuts:Using the proper cutters I have pushed it pritty hard with no isuse.

I've had my 720R for about a year. Hobby use only. I made a stand for mine from 2" hollow section. Thus far I have had one issues - the LED light died after 2 months. It was replaced by Grizzly under warranty.

This mill is made by Seig. The model is the SX4. There are a few reviews online.

No problems with the power head binding. The motorized head and variable speed is convenient. One disadvantage is the main motor is not a standard motor.

Tapping function works well. Mounting a DRO should not be a problem. I bought 2 igaging scales. My BIL has set them up for a wireless android DRO system. He has not given it back to me to mount on the machine as yet.

Even at max speed I think this mill is quieter than my 4003 lathe running at 200rpm.

I set up a home made coolant system with a 5 gallon bucket and an aquarium pump.

If it is in your budget a power feed for the table would be nice.

Would buy again.

MK

Back