Does anyone own a Grizzly G0720R ? ? ?

1962guy

Registered
Registered
Gentlemen,

I am interested in the Grizzly G0720R. I know its more $$$ than their other models and maybe that's why no one seems to comment on them.

Why do I like it? Variable speed, motorized headstock, tapping capabilities. But, I am fearful of the dreaded "plastic gear" issues like the 0704, plus I just have no information other than what's in the catalog.

At $ 3,295.00 its definitely pricey! I think I would be just as happy with the G0761 (less complicated) except for not having the motorized headstock. Is a motorized headstock really something to put very much consideration on? Is DRO possible on the G0720R without major surgery?

I would rather "buy once and cry once" than have regrets about a purchase. My real regret is that I can't buy a machine like this that's made in the USA. But, that's another conversation. This will be for hobby and learning purposes in my home shop.

Thanks so much in advance for your comments.....Lord knows I need them

Thanks xalky,

I have looked at these PM machines. Definitely an option to consider. Since I'm not getting any comments about the G0720R, maybe this is a case of "silence speaks the loudest"??

I am really surprised this is the case. But, what do I know:dunno: ??

I owned a mill like that (not a Grizzly) and hated it. I would never buy another one like that of any brand. In this case I would say first 1,600 max RPM is too slow. Be advised geared head versions that can hit 2,000 are still slow and very noisy. Adjust the gibs properly then raise and lower the power head 50 times and see what happens. Mine was counter weighted to no avail because the column dovetail ways were machined so poorly. It either bound up or was too loose. The column ways had a tight spot in the middle of the column so the best adjustment possible was too loose at the top and bottom and too tight in the middle of the travel. Lapping it improved it from horrible to bad. Table ways same deal to a lesser extent. My overall experience with this type of mill was :banghead: For the kind of money they are asking for this model I would be looking instead in this direction http://www.grizzly.com/products/Vertical-Mill-with-Power-Feed/G0729.

There's a mill of this style that's been for sale for a while now in my area. Someone converted it to CNC and is trying to sell it for $10,000. That's no joke you can drop that kind of money on one of these, don't ask me how I know this :banghead:. And if you get thinking about CNC just buy a used real designed to be a CNC mill at the factory don't mess around with these conversion toys. At the time I purchased mine plus the CNC kit for about the same money I could have purchased my brothers used Haas VF0 for $6k, a real CNC mill with a 10 capacity tool changer. :banghead:

I would enjoy watching one try and get a HAAS down in their basement. I would imagine the haas market and the bench mill market are not the same markets in 90% of the cases. And if you aint seen what the damage from the wrong code sending the cutter into the table in a rapid movement..... It just aint the kinda machine I would suggest one learn g and m code on with out someone standing over their shoulder.

If anyone hopes to do on a 4k machine what a 60k machine does, they are fooling their selves. But that dont make the 4k machine any less a mill. It just aint the same size mill. I have never even seen a import or bench machine in real life. But I have seen parts on here every day made by guys on these little machines. Parts that look ever bit as good as what one of the BP or HAAS or mazak turns out. Hell of alot slower. But a real machine none the less.

There are several Haas mills that will fit quite nicely in a garage and considering how much money you can plow into these toy junk joke bench mills trying to CNC them you can absolutely get a Haas for the same amount of money your average CNC'd RongFu type bench mill is going to end up costing. CNC kit guy also flew the coup and left me hanging shocker!

"I have never even seen a import or bench machine in real life."

Well there you have it, I'm sharing real life lived through it experience vs you have never even seen one in person. Yes you can machine something that looks okay on a bench mill given enough time and effort and cussing and money but for the same money if a guy has the garage space a used Haas will be WAY more machine, it won't even be a contest.

Lets not take peoples words out of context now. I never seen one but have seen what they make. I also did not say garage, but hey, it's your story.

Your right though, every guy that needs to make nothing but 2in x 2in x.25in needs a big cnc haas. No one on this site is happy with their imports

We'll not have any bashing of a personal choice someone makes on their machines. It's what a person has, and maybe all they CAN have, so we support them. Might be all they want. There are a million reasons to consider.

And btw, in the industrial world, Haas are lightweight throw away machines anyway, so you really need a better example. But this is a hobby site, and not many will be able to get even a Haas.

Please -- None of us have the right to look down their noses at others for their choice of machines. If you don't like a machine, fine you don't like it. If someone else does, fine, they do. Yes we are entitled to our own opinions but keep it at that, your opinion. Thank you.

You are wrong Chuck, I am perfectly happy with my import. My work shows this.

"Bill Gruby" --- Global Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Please -- None of us has the right to look down their noses at others for their choice of machines. If you don't like a machine, fine you don't like it. If someone else does, fine, they do. Yes we are entitled to our own opinions but keep it at that, your opinion. Thank you.

You are wrong Chuck, I am perfectly happy with my import. My work shows this.

"Bill Gruby" --- Global Moderator

Bill my friend, you beat me to the punch...

Have a look at the hundreds of educational projects that Bill and I have posted here. Since I just started re-forming a shop in the last 6-7 years, I'd say 90% of my equipment is import. -Haven't heard anyone complain about the educational projects I've posted here -and none of my real-life customers seem to mind that the work I charge them for is done on Import machines...

There is room for everyone here and the only bad machines are ones that are hopelessly worn out. Other than that, US or Import, they are welcome here. Using it is more important and useful than talking about it.

Ray

Back