Does anyone else find Kennedy Machinist boxes to be overpriced junk?

My biggest complaint is that they are just built too small for me-.

Machinist boxes are sized differently in all respects compared to a mechanics box. They're not designed to be interchangeable. I have two Kennedy stacks, one machinist & one mechanics (pictured below). Admittedly a little tall at 6'10" with lid closed & a step stool is required to get in the top but 25 drawers in one location makes for a lot of storage. Heavy gage metal, adequate slides (wasn't willing to pay extra for ball bearing) & stout drawer pulls. Is there something better? No doubt about it but you are going to pay accordingly. I mean no offence by this but I never factor in offshore stuff in the equation. I just don't consider it as an option personally.

DSCN1256.jpg

I'm looking at this one from HF for $360 minus whatever Inside Track (bogus program really) discount and with whatever coupons I may find.

It isn't set up like the Kennedy but it has ball bearing slides which my Kennedy didn't have. It also has metal pulls unlike the too small and too weak plastic things on my Kennedy.

Same price as the 52611 too.
That seems like a decent box. I have seen it in person.
But then I got a smoking deal on a Wide top and bottom Craftsman, Like brand new, For the same price at the Time. ($300.00)
Look around, there are coupons, I don't think it can be had for $300.00 any more though.
Yeah, that 3 piece Kennedy looking one is flimsy as all get out.
The older craftsmans were hands down better made. 70.s even as new as 80,s.
At one time Lowes had a hell of a nice Think it was Husky top box, I would say around 95 I brought it.
This thing was nice, And it was a full 18" deep too. Not narrow like a lot of the top box's. (10" 11" deep)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know about them being junk, but certainly overpriced! I'll rather spend my money on what goes inside!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I got an 26" wide, 11 drawer one it's pretty nice, but I only gave like $25.00 at a Yard Sale about 10 years ago.
I think there over priced.
I see a lot of Craftsman in Machine shop's.
Even the Gerstners (I am sort of a collector) are beautiful, but there too damm shallow.

- - - Updated - - -

I have 2 Kennedy multi-drawer boxes, 1 of which I bought about 4 years ago stuffed with mikes, calipers, lathe bits, a 0-1 dial indicator etc etc for $150.00. Both are vintage boxes and very well built. The newer ones seem to be of less quality. I probably wouldn't buy a new Kennedy since I am a now & then hobby machinist.

thats not hard to believe......................(The newer ones seem to be of less quality) Like everything else. It's a Shame really.
Just like old woodworking tools. Mostly all what I have.

couple o harbor freight coupons.

- - - Updated - - -

if you don't have a printer, you can just write down the number and give it to the check out.

- - - Updated - - -

I just picked this up today from craigs list.
Couldn't be any newer, O42 and Riser Gave $500.00

hf2.JPG hf1.JPG DSCF1331.jpg DSCF1332.jpg DSCF1333.jpg

I have a Kennedy #620 from the early 1950's. It's strong, green, and very heavy. The original sales receipt was in the box when I acquired it on Ebay. It cost $15.95 in 1953. That's $140 in today's money.

Back