Does anyone else find Kennedy Machinist boxes to be overpriced junk?

We have alot of Kennedy boxes at school. All shapes and sizes. I never seen one before school. I dont now how good they are supposed to be.

That said, they seem like any other cheap box to me. They work ok but they certainly aint nothing spacial that I can see.

I dont own a HF box either. But I have looked at everyones boxes I could find in store and on line. No one beats HF bang for the buck

I have 4 Kennedy's, a roll around base, center section & 2 tops, one of the Kennedy boxes I bought new in 77 and my dad has put a pretty crappy bug bomb paint job on it. I bout the stack for $120.00 (2 different sources) I would never buy new again in Kennedy.

I have 3 wooden boxes, 2 Chinese, one of which was given to me by fellow forum member Paul Hicks (Old Iron) and one I bought at a garage sale. The other is an old Gershner that needs restored that I will save for one of my grandsons.

I have an old Waterloo that my dad had since I was a very small kid, it needs some attention and it will be passed on to my other grandson.

But if I ever see a need for another box (which I won't since I have 8 other tool boxes of various vintage & quality) I would do the HF thing.

I don't own a Kennedy so I can't comment on them. I do have 2 Gerstners, 1 Waterloo, 2 Harbor Freight (red) roll around. I also have 2 Craftsmen boxes for mechanic type tools. One is the chest and roll around base the other is the same except with the addition of the intermediate drawer set. I also have a home made wooden tool box I built for my small woodworking hand tools.

Ok, so the I really like the Gerstners in the machine shop very good for the high precision tools. I have never had a problem with these they are very smooth in operation and they keep the moisture off the equipment. One of these I got for free the other was $100, both were filled with tools.

The Waterloo (IMO) is junk. I don't have much positive to say about it. I bought it used for $40 and it presents itself as $40.00 worth. I think it is a 10 or 11 drawer unit. The drawers are not smooth at all. I use it in the barn. It does not look all that great either. I am not impressed at all.

I use a HF 42 inch roll around in the machine shop and I like it. It is very solidly built and has ball bearing drawers. Keep in mind that this unit is not lockable. Its ok in you own home shop. This unit came with all of the 13 drawer bottoms lined with a rubber based material. The other is a roll around, but has the hinged top and 7 drawers (I think). I keep this one in the barn also.

The 2 Craftsmen boxes are also in the barn with my automotive and welding stuff. They do the job. I have had them for maybe 20 to 25 years.

So I guess what I am saying is, I highly recommend the HF (red) boxes. They are well made and can handle the weight.

Paul

I went toolbox shopping last year and ended-up with the Harbor Freight 44" roller. Nowadays nothing else even comes close to it in value for the money. I seen you had the cheaper HF box linked, but I would strongly suggest you look at the bigger HF boxes as they are constructed so much better. You can't use the 20% or 25% off coupon on toolboxes, but they regular put this popular box on sale for $359.

For consumer-grade boxes, it's difficult to add much to this fellow's review:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153445

I can still get replacement parts for my overpriced, 20 year old, Kennedy junk. Good luck doing that when you fabulous HF box falls apart in 12 years. I chose 12 years because I work with a guy that has a falling apart 12 year old HF box.

I went toolbox shopping last year and ended-up with the Harbor Freight 44" roller. Nowadays nothing else even comes close to it in value for the money. I seen you had the cheaper HF box linked, but I would strongly suggest you look at the bigger HF boxes as they are constructed so much better. You can't use the 20% or 25% off coupon on toolboxes, but they regular put this popular box on sale for $359.

For consumer-grade boxes, it's difficult to add much to this fellow's review:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153445
I have 2 of those HF 44" rollaways. They are by far the best boxes I've ever owned. I've always owned sears best boxes from back in the day. I bought one 2 yrs ago and liked it so much that I bought another one a few months ago. I've always owned "sears best" Craftsmen boxes from back in the day, because that was the best I could afford at the time. I would never spend the money on a Snap On box, way over priced.

I have an 11 drawer Kennedy chest that I bought used 25 years ago that I don't even use. It's in great shape, but,I find that there's not enough room in it for anything. It's sitting in my shed empty! It's more like a jewelery box than a tool box.:lmao:

Maybe I'll put it up for sale in the classifieds.

Have three Kennedy boxes and they have survived the years since late 70's fairly well; but they are overpriced and I would not purchase another. Also have two S/O and would not purchase another for the same reason--overpriced. The H/F 44" base is my newest box and I am very pleased with it.

The H/F 26" box pictured is currently on sale for $319 for March; best price in several months. Coupons can not be used on tool boxes

Kennedy may be overpriced but I sure would not call them junk. I got my first two in tech school - 1986, use them everyday at work and they have never given me a problem. In the early 90's I bought a Kennedy rollaround and it has served me well also. I also have a Craftsman and a HF rollaround toolboxes and I would take the Kennedys over them anyday for a machinist box. I haven't tried the more expensive HF models though, but have heard good things about them.

No experience with Kennedy but I have a Snap-On I bought 30 years ago as a mechanic and am certain it will outlast me. A few months ago I bought the black HF 4 drawer tool cart for $99 and I would buy it again in a second. I use it for tool holders, collets, a few regularly used machining work tools like wrenches. The only observation is that if I pull the drawer at an angle it will deflect and catch on the frame. You have to pull straight. I could easily fill my garage today with HF toolboxes for the price I paid for the 1 Snap-On box so for what I use toolboxes for today I would go HF, Home Depots brand or maybe Craftsman. If I was still earning a living busting wrenches (not machinist) I would buy a Snap-On or similar again.

Dave

I have a Kennedy bought many years ago on sale from Enco. At that time, given the sale price, it was comparably priced to any other box of that quality. It seems a good box and bullet proof. Mine has been thru a couple coast to coast moves. I couldnt afford to replace it though.

Anyone have a Grizzly box? They look pretty good and the price seems reasonable.

Back