Do you have a DRO on your lathe?

Wouldn't want to be without one on the mill or lathe. On the mill, counting dial turns for large parts and multiple features is a pain. On the lathe boring or turning to a stop, multiple features in a single turning or even just not having to read tiny dials is a big plus. I've used a dial indicator and micrometer stop and although they work, using a DRO is just easier and quicker. I have a 2 axis iGaging set up on the Atlas 618 I've been using for several years and it's ok, wouldn't recommend them to others though but I couldn't afford a full featured DRO when I put it on (before those cheap glass scale DROs started becoming more common). Just about to put one of those 2 axis LCD screen DROs from Shenzen DROs on my SB9.

Glass scales are less money than magnetic right?
Aren't magnetic scales supposed to be more durable? Less likely to be effected by oil? or do I have this ass backward?

yes on the first. A basic 2 axis LCD system from Aliexpress is ~$200, an equivalent magnetic system is ~$400.

The main advantage of mag scales in our use is size and packaging. They're smaller and can fit in many more places (inside of a cross slide for example) which can get around issues of cross slide mounting, such as interfering with the tailstock. They are less affected by oil, but you'd need to be working in a production environment with coolant to have issues with glass scales.

I would have preferred to go with magnetic but I couldn't justify the extra cost.

My PM lathe came with a DRO that I'm happy with. I use the INC/ABS function to keep rom loosing track of where I am. The built in calculator is nice. It took me a while to get comfortable with it and learn many of the functions available. I'd hate to go without. I mic the work, set the target final #s and turn until I'm close. Then mic the work and turn to the final.
I installed a 3 axis of the same brand on the mill. Easson (spelling?) It saves tool changes and the bolt hole function is a winner. I use the knee to come to final.
I'm not a machinist and and a DRO will never make me one but it reduces errors.

Another advantage of magnetic scales is that they can be cut to size. This doesn't apply in all situations, but if you have an odd size bed or cross slide length you can buy a slightly oversize scale and trim it to size. The only disadvantage of magnetic scales I am aware of is that they can give bad readings if you have another magnet in close proximity. Again it's a bit of a rarity but the readings can be influenced if you put a magnetic base within an inch or so of the scale. Some people like to put an indicator on magnetic base, stick the assembly to a way or table and take measurements.

The assembly instructions that came with my EL-400 system warn the user not to store magnetic bases or magnetic instruments on the mill table next to the scale. I don't store my magnetic bases on the table, but often use them to hold an indicator for measurement. In the 10 or so years I've had the system I've never had a bad reading because of the proximity of a magnetic base.

The assembly instructions that came with my EL-400 system warn the user not to store magnetic bases or magnetic instruments on the mill table next to the scale
I better keep an eye on that. The scales are way out of the way but it's good to be aware.
I have the DRO Pros EL400 on my mill. Love it, as far as I have learned to use it.
Thanks

I just recently bought a TPAC Tools DRO. I recall @BGHansen recommending them. Their lathe packages include a miniaturized scale for the cross slide, which I thought was very good. Installation was easy and it's worked out well for me. If I wanted to be really nit-picky, I'd wish that they'd included a lathe-specific display unit, rather than a dual-purpose one. But it's functional, and I just ignore the mill-oriented buttons (like bolt circle, etc.)

Back