Do you have a DRO on your lathe?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Do you like it?
What brand?
Glass or magnetic?
Has it made you a better machinist?

I'd love to have an Acurite or Sony but DRO pros are good enough.
From what I've been reading, the Acurite and Sony have real buttons and are much easier to use. No funny codes and intleigable symbols?
I must admit, I have struggled a bit trying to figure out the DRO Pros EL400 series on my mill.

I appreciate your thoughts on this one.

I have Ditron on my mill. They replaced iGague. I’m getting Ditron for my lathe. I think they are nice.

I have igaging 24" with remote read out on my woodrat(a router woodmill)- eats batteries over several months, is a little jumpy and accurate only to 5 thousands but that is ok for that machine and cos $50. ditron on my mill and lathe and they work well and are as accurate as the scales you use.
Lathe uses 1 micron scale on cross slide, others 5 micron.

I got mine with the PM branded one for my lathe. I have only just started using it on one function, and I'm still learning how to use it, I'm glad I have it though.

I have the magnetic version from PM and love it. Had not had one in the past and now I can’t imagine not having it. I don’t think it makes me any better, but I do think it makes some things easier and faster. I think many people just use it as a Digital Read Out and never anything more. I put together this video with my thoughts on how to get more out of your DRO.

My first experience with a DRO was using a cheap I-gaging set up I put on my old Bridgeport. It changed my world.

Did you guys hear about BladesIIB new patent??
Check it out

The one on the cross slide just got in the way and I rarely used it so it is gone, I found a 200 graduation dial more useful. I use a sliding magnetic digital caliper mounted to the v-way for a longitudinal DRO

Back