Do we need a British HF ?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have seen Harbor Freight sometimes characterized as "the pits for quality" being hyped in discount bundles, and there are even some Harbor Freight jokes! Along with this, clearly a whole lot of HM members seem well enough acquainted with their shelves, and it does seem that some HF lines are good, solid stuff at reasonable prices.

We don't have the equivalent of HF here in the UK. There are some DIY chains (think paint, garden stuff, overpriced wood, price-point power tools, etc.) These which include some famous name brands, along with the store re-badged stuff.

There is Machine Mart in UK, but it does not look at all like HF, and seems to plug limited brands (like Clarke). Welders. compressors, and the like. I see some of that stuff end up on eBay while still looking "hardly used". Thus here I go for for some indication from Stateside. Are you glad HF is there? Could we do with some of that stuff here? Unless you just happen to need a wastebasket, or a single spray can of Rustoleum, do you just drive past?

Couldn't hurt. I get pretty much all my consumables there. Tools, maybe. I try for American made, but even that's not set in stone. It depends on what I need, how fast I need it, how often I'll use it, price difference and the wait to get one from someplace other than HF

I pretty much drive past, largely because HF is about five miles out of the way for me. My go to used to be a regional DIY and I would usually stop in every time I went into town. As of two years ago, I limited all my travel as much as possible and Amazon became my go to. That said, I do stop in at HF for things on occasion and I will often check HF online for pricing and availability when making purchases.

I have had mixed experiences with HF but it seems that their quality has improved in recent years. Their prices are competitive if not better for items of comparable quality.

It's handy, but I don't think you're missing anything. Wish they still sold the 12x36 metal lathe. Other than welders, their prices are comparable to most other mid grade products. It's not great stuff. I've typed and deleted a lot of stuff here... but I think the answer is no.

There is an occasional good product there, but I wouldn't go so far as to say you missed out on a 'good thing'. Of the few power tools that I have bought there, none are current models. A thickness planer (for wood) that was all metal, but only marginally useable for turning framing lumber into archaic sizes, was a good buy that I have never seen anywhere else. But that was years back, when the first store in the state had just opened. But that was almost 20 years ago. I currently use a Foley Belsaw machine, the HF went to my brother when he retired. Their portable power tools, sanders, drills, saws, and the like aren't and never were worth using. The motors are designed for 100 volt use and the power cords I wouldn't use for a desk lamp.
I'm very selective in what I pick. Being honest with yourself about quality verses price is very important when shopping there.
He about says it all. There are a few things that I go to HF for where their price beats the local big box store. Such as paint stirrers, where I have several for different products and quality doesn't really matter. And wire welding wire that is used for my model building where I need steel but not music wire. Just remember what you are working on and keep in mind that you start at the bottom and work up to what you need vs want.

There is an occasional good product there, but I wouldn't go so far as to say you missed out on a 'good thing'. Of the few power tools that I have bought there, none are current models. A thickness planer (for wood) that was all metal, but only marginally useable for turning framing lumber into archaic sizes, was a good buy that I have never seen anywhere else. But that was years back, when the first store in the state had just opened. But that was almost 20 years ago. I currently use a Foley Belsaw machine, the HF went to my brother when he retired. Their portable power tools, sanders, drills, saws, and the like aren't and never were worth using. The motors are designed for 100 volt use and the power cords I wouldn't use for a desk lamp.

He about says it all. There are a few things that I go to HF for where their price beats the local big box store. Such as paint stirrers, where I have several for different products and quality doesn't really matter. And wire welding wire that is used for my model building where I need steel but not music wire. Just remember what you are working on and keep in mind that you start at the bottom and work up to what you need vs want.

Their power tools are to be avoided unless it is a one off project and you will never use that tool again. Their hand tools (wrenches, screwdrivers, and ratchets) are on par with what you can buy at any other big box home improvement store both in quality (questionable) and proce. When the consumables are on sale for the right price I'll stock up. They are nothing spectacular, you're not missing much.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

They are now offering lifetime replacement on their hand tools, something Craftsman used to do. I have bought some of their combination wrenches and impact sockets, which have been of decent quality. Then there is the ubiquitous 4x6 bandsaw, which no home shop should be without. They have made significant steps to improve the quality of their tools in recent years, with a comensurate increase in prices.

I have bought a few things there, most if not all of it is made in China. I bought a US General toolbox there and it seems to be pretty darn nice. I also bought an electric hoist 2000 lbs. and a set of 1-ton Haul Master trolly wheels that seem ok. Other than that, they have a bunch of stuff that's fun to look at and I am sure there are some other good stuff there. Like I said before it's made in China and most it is not all that good.

Back