Diy Weld Nuts

In that case, I wouldn't even bother with welding the nuts. Go with just thru bolting the feet on. One nut on top of the mill base and one between the foot and the tube.

The feet have to be spaced widely enough to get the pallet jack between them.

Grade five nuts won't be heat treated or annealed by welding. They're just steel, not carbon steel.

You may find that those style levelers give you big stability problems. Using a leveler with even high durometer inserts will allow your mill to move around a bit. Depending on how much it moves, it may or may not be acceptable to you. I know at work the only machinery we put on on isolaters, were compressors, drop hammers and forging presses.

You may find that those style levelers give you big stability problems. Using a leveler with even high durometer inserts will allow your mill to move around a bit. Depending on how much it moves, it may or may not be acceptable to you. I know at work the only machinery we put on on isolaters, were compressors, drop hammers and forging presses.

I hear you. This may turn out to be the case.

My objectives are to level the machine (sloped garage floor), raise the entire machine 4 inches or better (I'm 6 feet), as well as be able to easily wheel the pallet jack under the machine for occasional moving.

I've moved the machine, with the pallet jack as shown in the pic below, but I have a 12 inch knee and the machine is very front heavy. Even with the knee and 42in table all the way in and down, the machine had a pronounced lean, over one fork, as a result.

I've since un-stuck the ram, and can now move the head back several inches, but this may not affect the front-heaviness all that much.

I suspect wheeling the pallet jack under it from the front will resolve the lean. In order to do this, the feet have to be wider than the forks (about 32 inches). The center line of the forks line up nicely with the long edges of the mill base this way.

If it turns out to be unacceptable I'll try something else.

Bridgeport_proposed_levelling_feet_s.jpg

Last edited:
If your worried about the front of the mill tipping forward, weld you a couple and angle brackets that will go to the floor. Then run a couple of lag screws into the concrete on the back sides of the mill.

If your worried about the front of the mill tipping forward, weld you a couple and angle brackets that will go to the floor. Then run a couple of lag screws into the concrete on the back sides of the mill.

I'm only worried about the tipping when it's being moved.

I'm only worried about the tipping when it's being moved.
Can't help you there. What ever you do, keep it as close to the floor as you can while moving the mill if you are using the pallet jack. If you want to move it on some kind of rollers, Find you some cam roller bearings and mount in a pocket cut in the square tubing. I have a couple dad made for moving machiney around the shop with.

Back