Diy Weld Nuts

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Any reason why I shouldn't weld these grade 5 nuts that I turned?

The plan is to weld these nuts to the inside of some 2in x 3in x 1/4in wall steel tube.

The steel tube will run laterally underneath my Series1 Bridgeport

The "base bolts" on the Bridgeport will screw in to these nuts.

I understand the heat from welding may affect the properties of the nuts, but perhaps not significantly for my application.

The Bridgeport is "trying not to go anywhere" just due to simple weight alone.

If these weld nuts are unsuitable, what would be a recommended alternative?

DIY_Weld_Nuts_s.jpg

What are you trying to accomplish with them?

I've done that many times. While the heat created will effect the material properties, the stress the nut sees is based on the design. I screw a bolt into the nut to help keep the threads clean. You may need to run a tap or thread restorer into the nut after welding.

Roy

It sounds like the nuts are only to keep it from sliding sideways or tipping. If that is correct I see no problem with it, and the conceivable loads are small. In earthquake country I might be concerned. The heat won't help the strength of the nuts, but they are strong enough for what you are doing even when annealed, If the BP is going to be lifted way off the floor, then you might think about the loads. It seems like you are just making a riser frame, ???

I have welded nuts many times. I run a tap through afterward to correct any distortion from the welding.

What are you trying to accomplish with them?

The Bridgeport mill will be sitting on the steel tube, and the mill "base bolts" will be screwed into the steel tube (and welded nuts).

The steel tube will have hockey puck levelling feet at each end, much like Cheeseking's implementation from another thread. (see below).

Bridgeport_Cheeseking_levelling_feet.jpg

The ultimate objective is to raise the Bridgeport enough (3.5inches between the floor and steel tube) to slide the pallet jack underneath when I want to move it.

Hockey_Puck_Feet_s.jpg

Last edited:
Don't go nuts with the welding and you won't distort them. A couple of decent tacks is all you need if the welds are just there to stop the nuts from turning when you screw the bolts in. If they support the full weight of the machine you'll need more than tacks, but if you alternate sides you'll be OK. Protect the threads from weld spatter. It sticks tenaciously.

In that case, I wouldn't even bother with welding the nuts. Go with just thru bolting the feet on. One nut on top of the mill base and one between the foot and the tube.

In that case, I wouldn't even bother with welding the nuts. Go with just thru bolting the feet on. One nut on top of the mill base and one between the foot and the tube.
PITA to level a machine using two wrenches.

Back