DIY OD Grinder fixture, For the surface grinder- maybe

The clearance really depends on the diameters you're working with. General rule of thumb is .001 per inch of diameter but wanting best accuracy and you're not running at a high speed, you could tighten that up a bit. Maybe .0006 - .0007 per inch

More progress today.
The spindle datum is within .0002” over 4”. This is coplanar to the ground base. That’s a good thing.
The ends however were rough as a cob and not ground with much attention to detail.
I set the part on an angle plate, dialed it in and dressed the one side on the SG.
I flipped it around and cleaned up the other side.
I also cleaned up the sides by putting it in the vise, indicated equal to the spindle cavity, flipped it using parallels.
Now I have a clean, straight casting to work with.
Stay tuned.

Attachments

• 51FE53D4-3397-4FC1-BB4C-613CE81E1457.jpeg
    51FE53D4-3397-4FC1-BB4C-613CE81E1457.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 21
  • BD4F8637-F5C4-47E8-B908-A5673E43037F.jpeg
    BD4F8637-F5C4-47E8-B908-A5673E43037F.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 20
  • A48CBDF8-B1EB-4941-B6C5-D7A853EEAAF3.jpeg
    A48CBDF8-B1EB-4941-B6C5-D7A853EEAAF3.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 21
Well shoot.
I thought I had a face plate for my lathe but all I could find was a drive plate.
I found some on Ebay but it would be close to $450 for something I would rarely use.
I need to make a relief and oring groove on both sides in the bore.
This could be done on the mill, I guess that's where we are going from here. Never cut an oring groove in the mill :)
I machined off the indexing part of the casting. Used the rotary table and a roughing end mill. Uneventful.
Then I went over to the 2X48 belt sander to clean it up.

Attachments

• frame 1.jpg
    frame 1.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 16
  • frame 2.jpg
    frame 2.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 16
Well shoot.
I thought I had a face plate for my lathe but all I could find was a drive plate.
I found some on Ebay but it would be close to $450 for something I would rarely use.
I need to make a relief and oring groove on both sides in the bore.
This could be done on the mill, I guess that's where we are going from here. Never cut an oring groove in the mill :)
I machined off the indexing part of the casting. Used the rotary table and a roughing end mill. Uneventful.
Then I went over to the 2X48 belt sander to clean it up.
Won't a drive plate work?
I assume a drive plate is a face plate with a cut out for the dog leg?
I have used mine to attach things too. Do you feel the cut out might make it less rigid?

Won't a drive plate work?
I assume a drive plate is a face plate with a cut out for the dog leg?
I have used mine to attach things too. Do you feel the cut out might make it less rigid?
You need to fasten the part ot a plate. Oh, wait. I see what you are saying. I won't have access to machine the ID unless I am just not understanding the set up..
Maybe we can get Dave to explain a "facing head"?
This is when a facing head comes in handy Jeff . ;) Internal snap ring grooves etc .
Dave,
Is that one of those boring heads that you hold while it moves outward?
It can be used for facing and boring?? Goes on the mill?

Dave,
What about an expanding 5C collet?
I like it!!
Machine to the right size, Bob's your uncle :)
Or, is this too much weight for this application?

Attachments

• 5c 1.jpg
    5c 1.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 5c.jpg
    5c.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 11
Dave,
Is that one of those boring heads that you hold while it moves outward?
It can be used for facing and boring?? Goes on the mill?
Yes , yes and yes ! And the expanding collet would work also . Just so it doesn't let go when grooving . :eek:

Yes , yes and yes ! And the expanding collet would work also . Just so it doesn't let go when grooving . :eek:
I'll wear my motorcycle helmet.
I don't have a lot of confidence in these Chinesium expanding mandrels.
But, we'll move forward.

Thanks man

Back