DIY collet chuck questions

I'm pondering making a DIY ER40 collet chuck for my logan 9" lathe with 1.5" X 8tpi spindle. I have MT3 taper inside the spindle but I'd rather leave that open and use the external threads.

I'm looking at some designs on the net, and seems like I have the right size chunks of metal to make something happen, but it's all aluminum. Is it OK to make the collet chuck out of aluminum?

Does anybody have the dimensions of the ER40 collets? I don't have any to look at.

Thank you.

Strantor:
Just google "er40 collet dimensions." Here is one site with dimensions: http://www.maritool.com/Collets-ER-Collets-ER40-Collets/c21_56_64/index.html

I made my own ER40 collet chuck for my Grizzly 10x22 with a 1.75 - 8 threaded spindle. It was one of the first few projects on my first lathe, so if I can do it, you probably can too. I did buy a chunk of 4130, but it came out fine. The hardest part was the 1.75-8 internal threads. I used a commercial nut, which was precisely machined and hardened (that being beyond easy for me). Some things are just a lot easier to buy; for example, if you needed a hardened shoulder bolt with a socket head, you could make one, but it would be very difficult and time-consuming. If you already have a MT3-ER40 colllet chuck, just use its nut. Or buy an R8-ER40 chuck (even if you don't have a mill now, you are bound to get one sooner or later). If you join the yahoo group "grizzly10x22andthelike" you can see my chuck and a drawing of it on "Craig's G0602 pics" https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/10x22grizzlyandthelike/photos/albums/510884303 . Good luck!

Yes sir, that's what I have planned to get me by for now, but who knows; maybe it'll get me by forever? All I need for now is endmill holding, so your design should get me through, but for the future I'd like to have the versatility of collets.

Do you have separate sleeves to into that body for different sized end mills, or do you have a separate body for each size of end mill? that threads onto the exterior spindle threads, correct?

No sleeves. that one pictured is a 3/8. just for the common end mills 1/2 5/8 and so on. My reason is, my type collets are extremly expensive plus
the waiting time for the UPS. I can machine these free and quickly. After the part was turned, it the (blank) mounted in the mill, then center drilled
(and drilled and reamed) with the drill/reamer chucked in a rotary table kind of backward drilling instead of in the lathe. My thought for this, is, If
the lathe is off a hair (drilling) then we all know what that means. But drill dialed/trammed in on rotary table it has to be correct with spindle alignment.
I call it being "machine matched" the proof is I put an end mill in this and put it back in the lathe and indicated it-yep its off, put back in the
mill- indicated it "dead on".

sam

Hi, strantor. I'm in the middle of modifying a PSI er32 collet chuck for my 1-8tpi Atlas/Craftsman 618. Ran into strange accuracy issues. Long story short, found that supplied collets and some speciality hi-accuracy collets acquired on-line have varying taper angles. The longer 8° angles (measuring total both sides to get 16°), gave me angles of 15.7° to 16.2°. So, I'm in the middle of building some extra tooling to precisely grind the 8° collet taper, and to regrind the collets at that exact same taper setup.

ER32_Collet_check.jpg

They sell the nuts separately. Just make the holder and buy the nut. That is the usual approach. Also, they sell some nice ones with bearings.

Personally, I just bought my holders. Beal Tool company has an 1-1/2 x 8 tpi ER32 for $83.

I made two ER40 chucks for my Logan - one with metric threads and a purchased nut, and one with Imperial threads and a fabricated nut. Search in the shop made tooling forum for some pic's. I'm out of town for a few days but can get you more detailed info when I get back.

Steve

Are you sure you can't cut 1.5mm threads? Some smart guy around here just might be able to give you a work around if you tell us what lathe you have. It may end up easier than fabricating a nut.

I have read accounts of hobby machinists making ER chucks from aluminum, so it should work for light use. Getting a piece of steel or cast iron might be a better idea if you plan to do a lot of collet work.

Try this link for ER dimensions http://www.takayama-shoji.co.jp/rego/pdf/13_technical_information.pdf

One thing about using aluminum, the collet will have more of a tendnacy to stick. I am working on an ER collet closer and made a proof of concept prototype from some aluminum. Since the coeficent of friction between steel and aluminum is higher than steel on steel the 8 degree taper is closer to self locking in the aluminum version. Should not be a big deal if you use a nut, but in my case I want the collet to barely stick.

I have thought about making my own collet holder for my 1 3/4-8 spindle nose. A problem to address is how to gauge the internal thread to make sure it fits the spindle nose. Obviously, you wouldn't remove it from the machine to try it. I suppose one could buy a bolt that size but the sloppy fit of a commercial bolt may not give the class of fit required on the spindle nose.

I have thought about making my own collet holder for my 1 3/4-8 spindle nose. A problem to address is how to gauge the internal thread to make sure it fits the spindle nose. Obviously, you wouldn't remove it from the machine to try it. I suppose one could buy a bolt that size but the sloppy fit of a commercial bolt may not give the class of fit required on the spindle nose.

The answer to this was given to me by a more experienced machinist: first make a duplicate of your spindle nose. Since it has external threads, you can easily measure it with precision -- I bought some thread wire gages so I could use a regular micrometer. A critical dimension is the diameter of the unthreaded shoulder, as it will determine the concentricity of the fit of the collet chuck. After making the spindle nose model, you can use it to check the fit of the internal threads as you turn them on the collet chuck. Then mark it and put it in a drawer for future use. Here is the drawing of the chuck I made for my Grizzly G0602 10x22 lathe:
ER40 collet chuck.jpg
Naturally all of the shoulder dimensions should be to match your lathe's spindle. Note that the sequence of turning operations is important. After squaring the ends of my billet of 4130, I chucked the part in the 4-jaw and carefully centered it, then cut the internal thread bore and threads. When it just fit the duplicate spindle nose, I reversed the part and mounted it directly on the spindle before finishing the internal taper and outside diameters.
I set the taper by indicating off of a commercial MT4-ER40 holder, adjusting the compound until it traced the internal angle to <.001 TIR. Note that you must have the indicator exactly at center height. Incidentally, when you have that set up, it is easy to rotate the holder and measure its runout, which was less than half a thousandths. Not having a tool post grinder, I turned the best finish I could then used fine sandpaper, emery cloth and finally buffing compound to get very smooth surfaces, particularly on the internal taper.
I finished the collet holder with holes for a tommy bar to snug it on and break it loose, and also threaded holes for the little clamps Grizzly uses to prevent unscrewing in reverse rotation.
The hardest job for me was turning the 1.75-8 internal threads. I left a .25" landing zone, but if your lathe doesn't have a slow speed (like 50 RPM) it is very hairy turning those threads going in. (My lathe, as manufactured, had a slow speed of 150 RPM, which for an 8 tpi thread amounts to 5/16" travel per second! Fortunately I had made the VFD/3ph motor conversion so I could run as slow as I wanted. Even better, though, is turning the threads on the backside in reverse, traveling from the inside out. I wound up making my own threading tool from 3/4" drill rod...but now I have an even nicer internal threading tool from Mesa Tools (great tools at low prices!). Here is a picture of the nearly finished chuck:
collet  end.JPGchuck with collet (vga).JPG
The tommy bar holes are there but this doesn't show the 2 threaded holes near the spindle for the clamp block (only needed for reverse operations).
Hope this helps,
Craig

ER40 collet chuck.jpg collet  end.JPG chuck with collet (vga).JPG

Are you interested in making another one? I have the same lathe. Name your price!

Back