DIY Anodizing at home. 720 Rule Calculator for Low Current Anodizing Method.

kreutz

Active User
Registered
Some time ago, while browsing on the internet, I found out about the Low Current Anodizing method (LCA) for type II anodizing. This method has been popularized by Caswell (Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc ) and there are a lot of DIY videos on the web about it.

One of the most frequently asked questions about anodizing is how to calculate the time needed to anodize to a certain oxide layer depth. Browsing again I found out about the 720 rule.

This is a small java program I made a couple of days ago directed to calculate the anodizing time given the part's surface area, current density (it is directed to users of constant current anodizing rectifiers), and desired oxide layer's depth in mils.

The software was written for a group of users from Spain, so the main screen comes up in spanish but there is a checkbox selection for english speaking users. Surface area can be entered in in2 or cm2.

Current densities are limited to the range used by the Low Current Anodizing (LCA) method (2 to 8 Amperes/ft2).

In order to use it simply extract the compressed files into a folder anywhere on your computer and execute (double-click) the file "720RuleCalculator.jar". It will work on any operating system (Linux, MS Windows (all versions) and Mac OSx). No installation is required.

Enjoy!!

kreutz

Attachments

• 720RuleCalculatorRev001.zip
    53.6 KB · Views: 283
Glad that you posted this. For a home system to anodize, your power source would be a battery charger, with low current method.

Hello, nice to have that tool, but when I try to start it, the message appear "Could not find the main class. Program will exit."
What is problem?
Greetings and thanks in advanced.

I know, I have Java 1.8. I tried to reinstall Java, and now, when I try to execute jar file the Command Prompt starts for a moment and then disappears.

to: [U]OakRidgeGuy[/U]
A battery charger is not a constant current power source.
You need something like this:

I know, I have Java 1.8. I tried to reinstall Java, and now, when I try to execute jar file the Command Prompt starts for a moment and then disappears.

There is a freeware program named JavaRa that I use to completely remove and reinstall Java when I need to. Sometimes java remnants are left behind when using the conventional uninstall that cause problems on reinstall. JavaRa will fix that.

Roy

Java applications need to be started from a command line of:

java -jar <FileName>.jar

You can create a Batch File like the one i have attached with this in it and place it in the same folder as the Jar File and it will run just fine.
Remove the .doc from the Filename of the attached file and save it it the same folder.
Just double click on the .bat file and the Java app will run.

Attachments

• Run_720_Calculator .bat.doc
    31 bytes · Views: 54
I did a bunch of anodizing a few years back. The .pdf is a print of the project on another site. here's a clip of setting power:

power supply Set voltage to max. Set current to min. Hook up. Turn current up to whatever value you’ve calculated that your workpiece needs.
As anodizing progresses, keep an eye on the voltage. It will slowly rise. When it reaches a maximum and starts to decrease, you’re done.
run .02 (240 min) to .04(120 min) amps per square inch surface area **older manual says .03 for 90 min
NOTE at 0.03 amps/in^2 max voltage should be just under 10 volts. If you see over 12 volts current setting is too high. If under 7 volts max, current setting is too low.

Attachments

• Anodzing project.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 80
Back