Dividing Head Welding Positioner Ground Lug Ideas

I thought about the braided copper wire but, I couldn't come up with an effecient way for it to follow the head when I pivot it horiz to vert......unless I turn a wider ring and wrap a spring loaded braided cable around it and a bracket to the body. Good idea Wood!

I only have $160 in this delivered. Could I build one as compact and clean for $160 that pivots horiz and vert with my time included? Probably not. I have side work lined up that pays way better than my own projects do.

To ease everybody's troubled mind on the torture of a good dividing head.....had I purchased a complete unit, it would have found a home on my mill. What kinda animal do you think I am? Holy crap at the negativity about this project. You woulda thought I was clubbing baby seals.....I stopped doing that years ago.

I still like you Ironken. ;)

But in all fairness, you knew it was coming.

I just think it is great that it didn't become scrap.

Tail between legs. I did not see the word "incomplete" in your original post, and I read it twice. My bad. Very kind of you to offer the leftover parts to Buffalo20.

Last edited:
If you ground to the housing the current will pass through the bearings, build a brush holder with spring loaded carbon or copper brushes that ride on the back plate.

I have built multi conductor slip rings in the past using stock brushes from McMaster, actually copper brushes would work fine in such a low speed application.

Good Luck

Good info with personal experience! Thank you.

I still like you Ironken. ;)

But in all fairness, you knew it was coming.

I just think it is great that it didn't become scrap.

Thanks Randy, one less pitchfork and torch that I have to worry about showing up on my doorstep...lol

Tail between legs. I did not see the word "incomplete" in your original post, and I read it twice. My bad. Very kind of you to offer the leftover parts to Buffalo20.

You did not see it because it was not there. I edited my post to add "incomplete". I figured it would reduce the future flaming. Its all good.

I'm not sure how but I would try to figure out another way to spin for welding . An old table saw trunion with a gear reducer motor set up. It's just that precision tools are for precision work tight tolerance , welding will ruin it quickly any splatter gets to any sliding surfaces it won't work for welding long in my opinion. It's yours to do as you please good luck I hope it does well .

Ok I didn't know it was a China junk , do your best have fun. Try using a carbon brush spring loaded ,like the motor brushes. Bigger the better just polish the plate for contact. It will work well if you use spray graphite on the moving parts it will increased conductivity.

Last edited:
Bloody hell just did a search for "cheap rotary table", one may buy a "new" 4" table for $59.00 + $19.00 freight. I would buy 4 of them and weld away, if one lasts 2 months then fails just replace it, if you get 2 years of work for $300.00 it is well worth it. They also have T-Slots which allows mounting most any kind of fixture you may have to make.

I'm not sure how but I would try to figure out another way to spin for welding . An old table saw trunion with a gear reducer motor set up. It's just that precision tools are for precision work tight tolerance , welding will ruin it quickly any splatter gets to any sliding surfaces it won't work for welding long in my opinion. It's yours to do as you please good luck I hope it does well .

Ok I didn't know it was a China junk , do your best have fun. Try using a carbon brush spring loaded ,like the motor brushes. Bigger the better just polish the plate for contact. It will work well if you use spray graphite on the moving parts it will increased conductivity.

Good ideas.....never thought about spray graphite.

Bloody hell just did a search for "cheap rotary table", one may buy a "new" 4" table for $59.00 + $19.00 freight. I would buy 4 of them and weld away, if one lasts 2 months then fails just replace it, if you get 2 years of work for $300.00 it is well worth it. They also have T-Slots which allows mounting most any kind of fixture you may have to make.

I seen those rotary tables too. Problem is the angle of the dangle on the crank wont work well with my worm drive motor when I flip the table vertical. Too bad or I would do exactly as you said. When I was done with it, I could throw that at a baby seal and save my clubs.

Back