Dividing head question

markba633csi

Mark Silva
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does this type of dividing head called BS-0 usually have some provision for adjusting the gears for zero backlash? Either with shims or some other way?
This is an import copy of a Brown and Sharpe
-M

Attachments

• DivH1a.jpg
    DivH1a.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 7
My BS-0 does, it has a offset hole the crank handle behind the diving plates goes though. That allows you to rotate to disengage the gear to be able to rotate the head by hand. Mine has enough rotation to correctly adjust backlash

Can't answer for @jmanatee but on my import BS-0 there's an adjustment to take out the backlash. It's behind the dividing plate, as jmantee said. I haven't bothered to adjust mine yet, but on my previous eBay BS-0 (returned for a hidden broken bearing housing) the adjustment seemed to work fairly well. As far as I can tell, all the BS-0's are nearly the same, save for the quality of the units and the shipping packaging. My BS-0 from PM looks nearly identical to the eBay unit I returned. My PM unit is smooth. The eBay unit was dropped and never turned right. Both units had the identical adjustment to take out backlash on the worm gear.

Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to try one of the Ebay units, around 220$ now. Worst case I can always use the 5" chuck on my other lathe if it isn't too horrible and they agree to a partial refund if there is an issue

-Mark

I was tempted by an eBay unit. It was not a good experience. The unit was dropped and it caused internal damage to the dividing head. Specifically, it broke the main bearing housing casting. The damage was hidden. I had to entirely disassemble the unit to find the problem. Of course the vendor slow rolled me and said they would send me replacement parts... FWIW, the main bearing housing casting is not a spare part one can buy. I have the whole saga documented in another thread. dropped BS-0

The quality of the eBay unit was poor. I suspect it was a unit that was rejected by whatever quality management there was. The engraving was extremely rough and required stoning to avoid tearing your hands. The packaging did not fit the parts, which allowed the heavy components to shift and move inside the box. It wouldn't surprise me that the shifting load caused the carrier to drop the unit. Internally, the unit was filled with grinding debris. Your mileage may differ.

On the other hand, the PM unit was double boxed and internally the styrofoam actually fit the pieces preventing internal movement. I am glad I ended up with the PM unit instead. The PM unit turns very smoothly. The engraving is not sharp, although it could benefit from a stoning. It's a heck of a lot nicer than the eBay unit.

That being said, I did get my money back from eBay. I also got to practice taking apart a dividing head. Should I need to do any repairs on my PM BS-0, I know how to do them. Visually, the units (eBay & PM BS-0) look nearly identical. Quality wise, they were worlds apart. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, I do remember your postings about the Horrible Head Saga. I am by no means fully committed to buying one yet.
Eyes wide open and checkbook closed, for now. Those folks are very crafty about making something look like a quality piece when it really isn't. Actually, I don't think those factories even have such a thing as quality management. They assemble it and ship it. Period. If they can't get it assembled they ship it anyway. Non-shipment is not allowed in that universe, comrade
-M
Oh by the way, what is the thread on your spindle? 1-1/2" x 8 tpi?

Last edited:
Ninja edit, added link to saga in my post above.

More often than not, one gets lucky. Most of my eBay buys have been good. But my eBay BS-0 was NFG. I think if it hadn't been dropped, I would have been perfectly happy enough. That being said, the eBay BS-0 I received (ignoring the drop) was a lot rougher than the PM one in fit and finish. Good luck with whatever you do!

Back