Different types of tooling and their uses

cam is over a foot long approx 18" long.[/QUOTE]
18" can plus the length of your drill, drill chuck, tailstock. You're going to need a little room. How long is your lathe?

BO, at 18" long and you want to drill all the way through, unfortunately you aren't going to get there from here with an Atlas 618. If the shaft with cams was less than 1/2" then it could fit through the spindle bore, but I doubt that is what you have.

I have the 618 as my go to machine, with a spindle collet to hold a shaft I could just barley drill a hole in the end of 18" stock with a short screw machine drill. You are going to need a lathe with at least 28" between head stock and tail stock chuck assuming you drill from both ends. If it had a very large spindly bore you could probably get by with a shorter bed.

David

Tom, correct, I would flip it and bore the other side. Not sure ill have enough room even then. Im using a atlas 618 lathe, so 18"? As I still need a tool rest and tooling I may sell and upgrade.

Hi
If you are going to get a QC tool holder for your 618 you need a OXA, or series 000 size, if you go to a AXA it will be like putting a basket ball on your compound. I will recommend that you keep the lantern tool holders they will come in handy form time to time, also you need to use positive inserts on the 618 as the rigidity is not that great, but it is still a good small lathe. I still use the lantern tool post from time to time on odd work. That's just my 49 years worth of experience others may vary.

To pick up on Tom's advice, I will switch to the lantern tool post on some parting jobs since it puts the parting tool directly over the compound without so much overhang with the QCTP holders.

David

Back