Different types of tooling and their uses

borjawil

Registered
Registered
First lathe, atlas 618, and I won't be making a huge variety of things on it at first. Basically spacers of varying lengths. So while Im shopping eBay, It'd be easiest if I knew what to look for. I plan on buying a QCTP but may get the stock equipment first unless you guys think I should just go for the QCTP. I plan on making 1-2" diameter spacers from 1"-10" to start with that will also need to be bored. What do I need in order to make these?

So I see there are tool holders that curve left and right, as well as being straight. What is used when and why?
How do boring bits/tools work? do I need varying sizes to work up to a bore?

Check prices @CDCO http://cdcotools.com/
I really would get the quick change tool post then tooling for it. Left and right tooling used to better access cuts from cutting left or right

I have the 618 and for years used the lantern tool post. A few years ago decided to get the QCTP. Wow wish I had done it years ago. If you are going to order one and pay shipping make sure you get a lot of spare tool holders. In my opinion you can't have enough.

For making something 10" long I feel you will need a steady rest to support the over hang if you are boring. Yes there are different sized boring bars based on the diameter of the bore and the depth. For long bores you will need a very stiff tool and hence larger. Now I have never tried to bore something 10" deep, so I will leave that to others.

I may help to know what kinds of metals you will be using.

David

Boring deep holes is quite difficult, special tools are needed. Deep being three or more times the diameter.

If you start with tubing of the correct ID, it's a lot easier.

Quick change tooling is the way to go. the "Lantern style", original equipment was originated in the 19th century, should be abandoned as quickly as possible.

Good to know for the QC tooling. Will do. Unfortunately a lot of tubing isn't the correct measurement. though I will likely not be boring the longer pieces. What about drilling a cam shaft center? Any ideas on what is needed? I have a drill chuck attachment for my tail stock.

When I bought my lathe from the previous owner it came with a 4 jaw independent chuck. I purchased the Jacobs chuck that screws onto the spindle which allows me to use it for just over 1/2" stock and pass thru the spindle.

I find the 4 jaw is very versatile and once you get the hang of it, is very easy to centre and lets you really dial things in when higher accuracy is required.

I am not sure what you mean by drilling a cam shaft center. Are you asking about how to hold a weird shape in the head stock. Or can you chuck up on the shaft in a chuck and putting a centre in the end. To do work with longer pieces you will definitely need a steady rest.

David

a cam shaft is essentially solid stock with lobes on it. How would I go about drilling this out? 1/4" hole needed approximately.

One end would be held in the chuck. The outer end would be supported in a steady rest and the drill held in the tailstock chuck. Could be tricky if it will be a deep hole. Also depends on how long the cam shaft is.

David

Drill from both ends. Don't try to drill all the way from one end.

Back