Difference between metal-cutting bandsaw and power hacksaw?

Myself I have absoulutly no luck with any kind of band saw, I got 3. I find them to be
blade eaters. My three most used in order #1power hack saw, #2 chop saw, and
#3 torch. Hack saw mfg. in 1914 cuts not only big stuff but straight. It has an oil
pump and it shuts its self off, blades last and last nice heavy vise, can use drain oil
for coolant it doesnt care. Atleast my kid got some of the floor painted

full view.jpg w.Robertson 1914 No3.jpg

All of you power hacksaw fans are making me take another look at the one I have deep in the barn. It has a 3 phase motor, so I dont even know if it works. I assumed it was cheaper to buy a band saw than try and fix this one up. It's a bit of an overkill for my needs. I would appreciate any comments as to whether it would be worth getting a motor to try it out.

2012-06-02 09.09.33.jpg 2012-06-02 09.10.18.jpg 2012-06-02 09.10.38.jpg

All of you power hacksaw fans are making me take another look at the one I have deep in the barn. It has a 3 phase motor, so I dont even know if it works. I assumed it was cheaper to buy a band saw than try and fix this one up. It's a bit of an overkill for my needs. I would appreciate any comments as to whether it would be worth getting a motor to try it out.

I would give my left nut for that machine...Bob

What is this "overkill" thing you mention??? :headscratch: :biggrin:

Nice saw!

-Ron

I have a power hacksaw in my shop and i have used bandsaws for years in other shops and i would say hacksaws cut truer than band saws. I think it has to do with the size of the blade, and the fact that the blade isn't twisted like bandsaw. Yes they are slower, much slower, but i am a one man show, so its never been a huge issue with me.

here is my baby

What is this "overkill" thing you mention??? :headscratch: :biggrin:

Nice saw!

-Ron

Just compared to my little 1932 SB 8" lathe.

Now that I know it's value is at least equal to Bob's left nut, I will try and fire it up.

Hi RRT, you really dont need 3ph or 220 mine was the same deal and I chose 110vt cause it was just
easier to change motors than run 220 to the other side of the shop go back to my photo, clearly
you can see the motor is a run of the mill washing machine motor and it runs perfectly. sam

Hi guys,
Some band saws can be pivoted vertical and a plate attached that will allow you to cut curves in sheet metal thickness.this makes you band saw unit more versatile. If neighbours are close by and you work into the evening a bandsaw is far less noisy that a power hacksaw.
has this helped ?

Ozwelder :cool:

Ok, I'm convienced. I dug around and found a couple differnt motors I can try and heavy metal caster set to put under that heavy thing since its welded to the crude I beam stand. All the clamping mechanism is present. All I need is to source some blades. I will post my results when I get it going. Thanks guys. Toag, your photo of a clean one is inspiring.

Just compared to my little 1932 SB 8" lathe.

Now that I know it's value is at least equal to Bob's left nut, I will try and fire it up.

Thats real pricey because the other one is gone :). Just being silly. I really do like your saw. New blades are out there http://www.mcmaster.com has some as well as a million other cool things. I even see them on ebay...Bob

Back