Difference between metal-cutting bandsaw and power hacksaw?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Don't these two machines essentially perform the same function?

What, if any, are the differences between them?

Thanks,

Nelson

I know of no current manufacture power hacksaw, so there must be reason. Speed would have to be one. I imagine any reciprocating machinery has more wear and tear parts than a rotary machine. Also, blade selection is bound to be far wider with a bandsaw. I've run a power hacksaw, and was not impressed with the speed or overall performance.

Nice question!

I'm thinking about buying a saw and was actually wondering the same thing, I guess I'll be buying a bandsaw. :)

I actually have a power hacksaw. The poor thing sat there at the scrap yard, pleading with me for a whole summer. I finally gave in and took kit home and restored it. It's pretty cool. The blade is lifted up a bit during the return stroke and dropped back down on the forward stroke. I added a switch to shut it off when the blade drops through.

It works quite well, but, as mentioned, is a lot slower than a bandsaw. I don't use it any more, since I got a portable (HF style) bandsaw and an old Cosen 912.

I have a short video of it running, but it is an avi file, which this site doesn't allow.

P4100054.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
[author=Hawkeye link=topic=2881.msg20096#msg20096 date=1311916414]

I have a short video of it running, but it is an avi file, which this site doesn't allow.

We do now!

(We now allow the following extensions: doc, gif, jpg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, zip, flv, avi).

Post away! I'd love to see it work!

Nelson

Okay, hear goes. The two pawls in behind the connecting rod are for raising the blade on the return stroke.

Yup. It works. Just click on the file below. It may take a while to load because it's around 9Mb.

Attachments

• P3080112.AVI
    9.1 MB · Views: 120
Hawk,

That saw works nicely, and while, it's slower than a bandsaw, it's fun to watch!

The video worked real nice for me- I should have added AVI files long ago,

Thanks!

Nelson

Benny has an old one he's gonna fix up for a mailbox post or something, maybe he'll pipe in and tell you more

Benny has an old one he's gonna fix up for a mailbox post or something, maybe he'll pipe in and tell you more

It has pretty much been said by the others. The slower power hack saw got left behind in the industrial rush.

The power hack saws are neat to watch, kind of like the shapers going back and forth, back and forth..............with all the neat mechanisms adjusting things as they run.

The old power hack saw I have was rescued by a friend from a open field up near Boston and hauled back to TN. It is too far gone to rebuild in my opinion but I can't just throw it away.

Benny

Back