Difference Between Brown & Sharpe #9 And Hardinge 9b Collets ???

Well, I'll be dipped in snuff. Wells-Index quoted me $650.00, 15 years ago to regrind the spindle on my model 40 to R-8.
$250.00, I would have jumped on it. I was in the Chicago area at the time and could have gotten it over to them dirt cheap.

You've already ordered the collets but here's another option for the dear ol' B&S #9
Came with my Index m40.
P1060503r.jpg

Well, I'll be dipped in snuff. Wells-Index quoted me $650.00, 15 years ago to regrind the spindle on my model 40 to R-8.
$250.00, I would have jumped on it. I was in the Chicago area at the time and could have gotten it over to them dirt cheap.

You've already ordered the collets but here's another option for the dear ol' B&S #9
Came with my Index m40.
View attachment 128939
Like I said, my information was second hand. A sure way to find the actual cost is a single phone call...

I recommend against the R8 conversion unless the existing taper is totally shot. The conversion leaves smaller than normal mating surfaces for the R8 tooling, and R8 is already marginal in that respect on the larger mills it is factory fitted to.

Your double taper collets are one useful option, but they do steal headroom from the machine. Edit: He already ordered a set of B&S 9 collets, so the question is moot at this point.

The collets were waiting for me when i got home last night. Each one oiled and sealed in plastic inside a hard plastic storage case. They look good and I can't wait to try them out. Although it will be a while. I'm pretty sure they are more precise than I am :)

Middle.road, is that a different spindle or does that piece screw into the existing spindle. The taper looks bigger but I don't see how it mount as a spindle. Something that looks a lot like that holder came with the "extras" I got with this thing but no collets. I'll try to get some pics of it when I get near it again.

If you use the 3/4" collet you could get 3/4" drill rod and make drivers for anything and everything you need. Sort of a quick change system on the cheap.

Middle.road, is that a different spindle or does that piece screw into the existing spindle. The taper looks bigger but I don't see how it mount as a spindle. Something that looks a lot like that holder came with the "extras" I got with this thing but no collets. I'll try to get some pics of it when I get near it again.
It's a #9 BS double angle collet holder made by (IIRC) Universal Tool(ing).
But as Bob noted above, you lose working height/headroom using one of these.
twenty years ago when I got my mill this was in it, and at the time the only collets I could find
we offered by MSC. I bought a 3/4" and it was expensive.

Your double taper collets are one useful option, but they do steal headroom from the machine. Edit: He already ordered a set of B&S 9 collets, so the question is moot at this point.
I only tossed the pict of the Double Angle collet up as reference in case someone somewhere down the road views this thread.
One can never have to much information...

I only tossed the pict of the Double Angle collet up as reference in case someone somewhere down the road views this thread.
One can never have to much information...
That would be a great tooling find for someone trying to tool up a bigger B&S 9 mill like a Gorton or similar.

I appreciate the info middle.road and you are sooooo right about "never having too much info". I have learned more "accidentally" than I have on purpose by reading old threads and someone throwing info in the mix. Those light bulb moments are what makes this forum interesting as well as informative.

Back