DIE HOLDER VS SINGLE CUT

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
BEEN USING A GRIZZLY 4X6 AS A LEARNING TOOL AND HAVING FUN MAKING PARTS AND $$$$ TOO :)BUT the time will come when Ill need a BIGGER LATHE WHICH IS ON THE HORIZON. AND COMING SOON..........BEEN SEEING SOME INFO ON YOUTUBE RE DIE HOLDERS VS. SINGLE CUT THREADING AND LIKE THE DIE HOLDER IDEA WAY BETTER WHICH SEEMS less complicated AND DOES THE SAME JOB, SO WHEN I GET MY NEW 7x14 WILL SEE HOW IT GOES.......I didnt pay too much for the 3 die set and really dont plan to use it that much, but its thier if the time comes.

Last edited:
Single point will take less power to thread, the die holder you will probably hold, and turn by hand. I think....

Last edited:
It depends on what you mean by die holders? Round split dies or a die box (Coventry die box) for production work. Also depends on what you are making and the accuracy of the thread required etc etc
Split dies are economical and give reasonable result for general work
Coventry dies or similar give a high quality thread much better accuracy and a higher productivity rate, much more expensive as well.

Single pointed threads are likely to be more concentric than using hand dies, even with a tailstock holder.
You can always do most of it single point and finish up with a dies stock which works pretty good.

It depends on the accuracy required, single point can be more precise. Tailstock die holders or even just using the tailstock to support and line up a conventional T handle die holder works for many small parts.

Personally I find using a tap or die easier than single point, but that is because to single point I usually have to use change gears or have to set up a threading accessory (Sherline).

If you looking at a mini-lathe you will be in the same situation. Single point threading is easier when a Quick Change Gear Box is available, but you don't find that on many lathes under 9-10".

While a Geometric die head is not suitable for the little lathes discussed here, for 10" plus lathes, they are much faster and easier than either single point threading or running a die. If you have to do much of this, it's worth looking into. Each unique thread pitch can be purchased for maybe $10 or so on eBay. I paid $150 for my die head with 4 thread pitches.

1620921202966.png

While a Geometric die head is not suitable for the little lathes discussed here, for 10" plus lathes, they are much faster and easier than either single point threading or running a die. If you have to do much of this, it's worth looking into. Each unique thread pitch can be purchased for maybe $10 or so on eBay. I paid $150 for my die head with 4 thread pitches.

View attachment 365752

I see these pop up on CL once in a while. Are these usually used with a 3 or 4 jaw chuck? Most seem to just have a straight shank, I don't usually see them with a common mounting system like a chuck would use or a tapered shank to be held in the spindle with a drawbar.

Automatic die heads such as the Geometric are available as small as 5/16" capacity, but they are not cheap by any means, neither are the chaser sets. I do not think they would be suitable for lathes smaller than 9" swing, as they do not possess much torque capability. Thread quality will nearly always be better with single pointing so far as true pitch and thread wobble is concerned, which happens all too often with button dies.

I see these pop up on CL once in a while. Are these usually used with a 3 or 4 jaw chuck? Most seem to just have a straight shank, I don't usually see them with a common mounting system like a chuck would use or a tapered shank to be held in the spindle with a drawbar.
No, they were designed to (mostly) be held in the hex turret of a turret lathe, but adaptors can be made to fit them on the OD of the tailstock quill, or they can be held in a boring bar holder of a QCTP. Automatic dies are also rotated in a headstock of powered threading machines where the die rotate and the work is held stationary in a sliding vise and fed into the die head.

Back