Die Filers

I have a Milwaukee Die Filer, They are a handy tool mine also has the saw arm.

Paul

Ok guy's, you got me in trouble today. I was reading about the die filers and how helpful they are. I do not like to file! I have a good assortment of files to use; I just don't enjoy the procedure. I would much rather use a machine to remove the metal.

Then I remembered. There is one at the metal yard that I do business with occasionally. The filer was there a few weeks ago, for that matter it has sat in the same spot for about a year. I just never really paid attention to the machine because, I'm running out of space. I went by there yesterday and spoke to the owner. He was happy to get rid of the piece of rust for $25.00.
When I got it home my wife helped me un-load it. It is heavy, all cast iron. Of course she had to make her comment about bringing another sow's ear home. I think I can make a silk purse out of it.

Everything works. It needs a good cleaning and rust removal. I found a parts list and operating instructions on P.M. Eventually I should be able to find the upper arm assembly. I know you can use them without the arm.
Steve James

Last edited by a moderator:
I might as well post some pictures of my Oliver Die Filer. I picked it up a few years ago. It is rough but looks to be all there. It is the only one I have seen that is direct drive. It hasn't been a priority so I haven't worked on it yet.

Maybe some day.

Filer-4.jpg
Filer-2.jpg
Filer-3.jpg

Charlie W.

I saw something on one of those "How's that made" type shows that surprised me a great deal. They were showing an escalator factory. The treads are all die cast aluminum, and handled by robots. The robots ran the edges across......DIE FILERS! I couldn't believe it!

I guess I should try to get one. They're pretty rare around here. I've only seen one shop that had one, and they were using it for something else.

In my restoration queue, I have an Illinois Tool Works die filer that was apparently used durng war time as it has a metal tag with "War Finish" on it. This meant bare bones finish and hurry it out the door for use back then.

I also have an All American brand with the indian head logo badge but it's going to a friend. I know we all like to see pics.

I think a die filer could come in relly handy at times.
Pics added ITW first:
100_0723.jpg
100_0715.jpg

Then the All American:
AMDF2.jpg
AMDF3.jpg

100_0723.jpg

100_0715.jpg

AMDF2.jpg

AMDF3.jpg

100_0723.jpg

100_0715.jpg

AMDF2.jpg

AMDF3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see that it's time to revive my die filer project. Do those of you who have them find that you tilt the table very often, or do you use the filer almost exclusively at 90*?

I've made mine with a 1/2" socket at the top of the spindle. Each file type/size will have an arbor to fit the socket. I've collected a few triangular and round files to cut off and mount in the arbors, with the files cutting toward the table.

Back