Die Filers

GWRdriver

Active User
Registered
Does anyone out there have or use a die filer? These have been obsolete in production T&D work for some time but I have found they are simply a great tool to have for model engineering work. I worked for many years without one (for many years I didn't know what a die filer was!) and then one came my way and now I use it as frequently as I do any other tool in my workshop. Here's a photo of the Milwaukee die filer which was one of the better know mfgs along with Harvey, Oliver and Grob which was considered the Cadillac of die filers.

Attachments

• DF-1A.jpg
    DF-1A.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 469
Last edited by a moderator:
You missed a brand

Beaver / Rockwell / Delta

But they called it a scroll saw.

Walter

Die filers are a very often overlooked tool. Anyone doing wheel work should have one (at least). They are not prohibitively heavy, or noisy, and the tooling is easy to come by, or make. I haven't had one in years, but now and then I wish I still had one.

Tony,
The files are becoming difficult (ie expensive) to find, especially new, but a handfull will come up on eBay every once in a while. There is a company in Memphis TN, Federal File Co., which still lists die files (parallel machine files) in their catalogue but the last couple of times I tried to contact them they weren't at home. Although the shapes would be limited one could still adapt conventional hand files and get along pretty well.

GWRdriver

Some pictures of an Oliver model S-4 die filer that I use from time to time.

Bill
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3]

100_0749 (Small).jpg 100_0747 (Small).jpg 100_0748 (Small).jpg

author=chengdave2003 link=topic=1593.msg9421#msg9421 date=1302312763
You can buy a kit and machine one yourself:
Dave,
I knew of that one from Metal Lather Acces., and I almost went for it, and then a nice Milwaukee appeared for a good price. MLA also produces (or used to produce) a casting for a slotted table cross-slide for South Bends, and IIRC that's what got them started. Everything I've ever heard about his castings has been good.

author=starlight_tools link=topic=1593.msg9418#msg9418 date=1302311975
You missed a brand
Not surprising. Until I started digging into it I'd only heard of 4 or 5 on my list. I'd like to see a picture of the Rockwell machine, I don't remember seeing one in their catalogues from the mid-1960s forward.

Harry as I said earlier, these were not known as Die filers, they were known as Scroll Saws. But the design was either based on how a Die Filer was made, or the Die Filer was based on this design, not sure which came first. Either way, there is a motorized reciprocating arbour that has a table wrapped around it to support the stock. The Scroll Saw had an additional overarm to support flimsy blades.

I have a JS3100 in my shop and a 40-440 that has been refurbed and is on my sales floor waiting for a new home.

Beaver JS3100 24" Scrol/Jig Saw

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2133

Rockwell Delta 40-205 to 40-440 Scroll / Jig Saw

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3224

Here are the manuals for these two machines on Vintage Machines, fromerly OWWM.

The Series 40 manual actually shows a picture of it set up with a file inserted in the chuck.

Walter

Last edited:
Thanks Walter. When I was a kid (early 1950s) there was a flurry of garage boat building activity around here and my Dad knew several of them and I can remember seeing a couple of these jigsaws when we'd visit the garages.

Back