WTB Die Filer

Wish it was closer!
Looks like a museum piece. Fresh pain always has a way of making me suspicious, what has been covered up?
But that machine looks like the ultimate in die filers.
I recently shipped a lighter wt. machine to Mississippi from NE, to be picked up at the trucking company dock. $650!
If I was shipping the die filer, I would reduce the height and try to get the center of gravity as near to the pallet as possible. Common carriers don't strap stuff to the trailer walls and things get tipped over. Way too much experience when I had my business! Having replacement castings made is expensive! Windy Hill Foundry can do it. Check him out online.

Looks like a museum piece. Fresh pain always has a way of making me suspicious, what has been covered up?
But that machine looks like the ultimate in die filers.
I recently shipped a lighter wt. machine to Mississippi from NE, to be picked up at the trucking company dock. $650!
If I was shipping the die filer, I would reduce the height and try to get the center of gravity as near to the pallet as possible. Common carriers don't strap stuff to the trailer walls and things get tipped over. Way too much experience when I had my business! Having replacement castings made is expensive! Windy Hill Foundry can do it. Check him out online.
Yeah, it seemed apparently the sellers son spent a while restoring it, then passed. I was hoping they would be willing to disassemble it a bit (the base looks like it would split!), But they are old enough to not be capable of it.

I figured I'd be 4-500 into shipping if they could, but never got to that point.

As far as the fresh paint: I figure I can fixup anything that needs it, and it looks nice in the meantime :) painting is the one thing I can't fix well, lol.

Die filers are nice to have. I picked up a Do All model at a swap meet for a hundred bucks. Wasn't looking for one at the time. I have been collecting files for awhile and have about 50. The files seem expensive on eBay, etc. Found most of the files at flea markets
83e7ddd951825d392b0458e409b1ff36.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 8 V 5G UW using Tapatalk

Die filers are nice to have. I picked up a Do All model at a swap meet for a hundred bucks. Wasn't looking for one at the time. I have been collecting files for awhile and have about 50. The files seem expensive on eBay, etc. Found most of the files at flea markets
83e7ddd951825d392b0458e409b1ff36.jpg

That's great! There is a nearly identical one to that in the SF Bay area, but guy is only willing to take cash-in-person, so I'm a bit out of luck there too. Doesn't seem open to trying to ship it either. It doesn't have the base so I figured it would easier at least :)

That's great! There is a nearly identical one to that in the SF Bay area, but guy is only willing to take cash-in-person, so I'm a bit out of luck there too. Doesn't seem open to trying to ship it either. It doesn't have the base so I figured it would easier at least :)
Just keep your eyes peeled and be patient, things seem to show up when you least expect. Every time I rushed to get a machine I usually got a dud. My best finds are the ones I didn't expect finding. Good luck

Ended up finding an inexpensive Oliver (without a base!) on facebook market place that might need some TLC, but they are willing ot ship for a reasonable combined price. Restoration is probably a near-future side-project :)

Ended up finding an inexpensive Oliver (without a base!) on facebook market place that might need some TLC, but they are willing ot ship for a reasonable combined price. Restoration is probably a near-future side-project :)
Did you buy it?

I am looking for one as well... since I can't seem to be able to buy the kit from Andy at MLA...

I got the Rockwell/Delta Jig Saw thinking I could turn it into one, but I do not have the heart to modify it... I will keep it original...

Did you buy it?
Yep! Its on the way, and UPS claims it'll be here today! I'll probably start a thread about it at one point. I'm running out of bench space for projects though :D
I am looking for one as well... since I can't seem to be able to buy the kit from Andy at MLA...

I got the Rockwell/Delta Jig Saw thinking I could turn it into one, but I do not have the heart to modify it... I will keep it original...
That MLA kit seems nice! But the over-arm support was one of those that seemed like a great idea for me. Out of the casting kits, I found the MLA to be the nicest, though perhaps lacking. I considered the Martin kit (since he's close to me, so a short drive!), but I thought the design was lacking, even compared to the MLA kit.

I was considering/mentally drawing my own design that would have a powered-articulating over-arm like some of the more expensive ones, but fortunately (since I don't NEED another big project :D) this one on FB marketplace was listed for a little more than $200! Though, more to ship than to buy, but ended up being 'market price' after all that. I suspect it might need some TLC, but thats always somewhat enjoyable.

Back