WTB Die Filer

ErichKeane

Making scrap at ludicrous speed.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm enamored lately with die filers, a floor standing one would be wonderful, but even a benchtop one would be great! I'd prefer a complete one, but show me what you have! I've pinged a couple people around on facebook/craigslist, but no one is willing to ship, and the Pac-NW doesn't seem like we got many of these :)

Thanks for looking out for me!

These are way more useful than I imagined. After looking for a couple years, Susan in SF tipped me to a Butterfly filer in Twain Harte, maybe 3 hours away, but through pretty wine country. $100, fully functional, benchtop model. A clever tool holding design holds round, square or flat files, even including cut-off hacksaw blades.

Terrible photos, sorry.

1672377199908.jpeg

1672376830116.jpeg

I thought for a hot second of offering mine….

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/quarantine-projects.83185/post-742842

Yes, a very useful tool. I think someone offers a casting kit too.

If you don’t mind making it yourself.

John
I've also considered building one. Martin Models one is tempting, as they are local to me, but the Hemingway kit and MLA lots are both nice for other reasons!

I'm hoping to buy something though, I'm neck deep in my gear hobber project, and already have an eye on what I'd like to do next :)

I highly commend the MLA kit for kit quality and finished result. I might still have Gary's (Martin Model) casting kicking around, but it's quite a bit more work to produce a less capable machine. (The MM castings are excellent - it's just the design that I think is inferior.)

Regards, from a former denizen of Forest Grove,

GsT

I highly commend the MLA kit for kit quality and finished result. I might still have Gary's (Martin Model) casting kicking around, but it's quite a bit more work to produce a less capable machine. (The MM castings are excellent - it's just the design that I think is inferior.)

Regards, from a former denizen of Forest Grove,

GsT
I think I agree with that assessment, though the MLA one lacks overarm support as well, so as soon as I start analyzing designs, I find myself looking at more capable/well designed models :)

A couple years ago, I bought and refurbished a used die filer. It works OK, but now I'm in need for some files. Does anybody know of a source? Thanks! - hman

A couple years ago, I bought and refurbished a used die filer. It works OK, but now I'm in need for some files. Does anybody know of a source? Thanks! - hman
It looks like getting lucky on ebay looking for machine files is your best bet. I was planning on just modifying any non-tapered files I could find on the grinder.

Back