Did I Goof or Junk V-Block Part

Frank,

Thanks for posting, in the past I used the clamps to hold stock for drilling and light milling. Like you, I figured that was what clamps were for. I won't be doing that any more.

Mike

Could that be brazed back together and re-tapped?
Robert

I own two sets of Starrett matched V blocks. I use them all the time to hole work for drilling and pressed up against the fixed jaw of a vise,
that is no problem. I guess it depends on the quality. Starrett makes one of the best V blocks on the market, and mine are older Starrett.
Hardened steel, well made. Never had a problem.

From Starrett:

V-Blocks come in a variety of styles to suit the numerous requirements of machinists. They are intended for general shop use and layout work, as well as for holding stock in place during light-duty milling, drilling, and grinding operations. All clamp screws have a hole to help secure the workpiece.

I own two matched sets w/clamps, #567 and #278, never had a problem. light drilling and milling.

I have really torqued the clamps on my V blocks with no problem. But I think many of the older tools were of better quality. Today's tools, unless you pay top dollar, are made for profit only. Some corners get cut. Heat treatments are not as good as they once were because the parts are made over seas where things are not watched as close. Sometimes you might find something good for a decent price. But then the next batch from the same place might not be as good.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but am very glad you informed all of us about the issue. This information will surely help many avoid the same irritation later (like ME). I also find it encouraging that Fowler still stands behind their tools and is making it right by providing a replacement for you. I have had good luck with some Fowler measurement tools and am glad to hear that they still care.

My first V-block came used, without a clamp. I used it initially with table clamps.

Then I had a job that would be easier with a real clamp, so I scrounged in the off cuts and came up with this:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

It ain't pretty, it was thrown together quick with the stick welder for that one job, but now gets used regularly for holding work.

So you could make some clamps up custom and use them when you really need to crank down on something, and save the replacement Fowler part for holding things while measuring.

-brino

(The legs aren't really splayed as that middle picture angle seems to show)

Last edited:
I use V blocks in the vise like Randy showed. You can use them vertical also.
As said the clamp is for setup.

The newer vee block clamps are investment cast castings of low grade steel. Probably Chinese grade C10 which is equivalent to our grade 1010 if you could get it. Investment casting in general has no grain structure to it and added to the failure along with the thin section around the screw. The older vee block clamps were drop forged of a good alloy steel, which could be bent into a pretzel and not break!

Has anyone had a vee block split into at the bottom of the vee? I have.

Back