Did I Goof or Junk V-Block Part

Frank thank you for bringing this up. I immediately went and checked mine..My hold down yoke is magnetic and appears to be made from some sort of steel extrusion that has been chopped off, drilled and tapped for the threaded rod. It seems robust and the hole in the knob for a tommy bar suggests that you can reef down on it.

However your experience lets me look at this in a new light.

David

"I always use a proper hold down clamp". Well. as I said, I'm a novice. So, what would be the preferred way to hold, let's say a piece of 0.75" round alum. horizontally on a mill table, for milling a flat or drilling a through-hole. A photo would be nice.

Regards,

Frank

Frank,

On a 0.75 diameter bar I would just use a v-block and clamp them both in my vise. No hold downs or other clamps needed. The V would be horizontal and the jaw of the vise would clamp the shaft and the block together. Sorry, don't have any pics of that. does this help?

David, I believe if you ask the mfg, you will be told that hole is for releasing the clamp in the case of someone tightening it beyond a normal hand tight with the knurled knob. For instance a big strong guy putting a part in and a weaker person, perhaps a lady who doesn't have quite the gorilla grip that a big guy might have.

Tony thank you. When I look at the diameter of the screw, it certainly doesn't look all that robust. I can see it for light drilling etc, but not for heavy duty milling.

David

Tony thank you. When I look at the diameter of the screw, it certainly doesn't look all that robust. I can see it for light drilling etc, but not for heavy duty milling.

David
Really not for machining use at all, only for layout and testing purposes.

I think we can see that now, but if you read the fowler write up they say it is good for grinding, drilling, milling etc. They just don't say HOW it should be used.

David

I think we can see that now, but if you read the fowler write up they say it is good for grinding, drilling, milling etc. They just don't say HOW it should be used.

David
You can certainly use the blocks for machining purposes, just not the included clamps.

Sadly, it is often difficult to get replacement clamps that will fit, and they are not trivial to make. I came into two beautiful Starrett 567 blocks, missing the clamps, #567B, which Starrett sells for $46.00 each, plus shipping, and no one is selling them more than a couple dollars cheaper...

That clamp is to hold work to v block for SETUP.

Look for a table clamp set that has the t nuts with assorted lengths of double ended threaded bolts with stepped lift parts and flat bridges.

They are universal table clamping sets and are used to clamp the work down to the table.

Using ] hone so no links or photos but others should provide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Gee, thank you all for the great replies. It appears that I misused the V-Block and I will chalk this up to my education. I guess at nearly 70 years old I have a lot to learn. A few minutes ago, I received an email from Fowler. They're sending me a new clamp. I never asked them for this or really expected it, but my hat's off to them for the nice gesture!

Best regards, Frank

Back