Diamond in the rough?

I take it that it is an Aloris clone. The description is not clear with the 12" listing. Make sure that you get an AXA series version and not a BXA series. A BXA series holder is too big for your lathe. I prefer the wedge type over the piston type.

If your knurler was like mine, it is a piece of junk, because of cheap knurls. If you are going to use the knurler, upgrade it by purchasing a set of quality knurls (the cheap ones don't run concentric, which is necessary for quality knurling).

It is an Aloris clone, AXA size.
Yeah, the knurler is not great, I didn't know the wheel were available separately. Ideally I'll get one of the scissor-style (I think that's what they are called)

I tried the knurler on aluminum and brass and it sucked. Haven't replaced the wheels yet but will eventually. I have made 12 extra tool holders for it using the mill and they work well. Which reminds me, I need more tools to go in them.

So you need knurling wheels ? :grin:

The ways look great on that bed.... How does the lead screw look in the middle of the bed, does it look like the end closer to the chuck or is worn down? If you engage the half nut is there a lot of backlash like play in the carriage wheel?

Its awesome that you got the OD grip chuck jaws.... Make sure you oil the machine at least once every couple of weeks..... Dont just toss out those lantern style tool holders now that you are getting a QCTP...

Last edited:
The ways look great on that bed.... how does the lead screw look in the middle of the bed, does it look like the end closer to the chuck or is worn down? If you engage the half nut is there a lot of play backlash like play the carriage wheel?

Its awesome that you got the OD grip chuck jaws.... Make sure you oil the machine at least once every couple of weeks..... Dont just toss out those lantern style tool holders now that you are getting a QCTP...

It’s pristine all along the full length.
Seriously like it’s never been used.

I’ll be keeping all the tooling as it’s original to the machine.
Is the lantern post useful for other operations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all below Dave .

Back