[Metrology] Dial indicator contact point alignment

Readers are susceptible to noise, but most of the commercial ones, including China imports, have metal shielded twisted-pair DC wiring and AC inductor filters built in. Modern encoding on the strip is digital and absolute addressed. A reader sitting still against a mag strip or glass scale isn't traversing any "bar codes" to create drift. Voltage float will not affect the reading as long as it is in the TTL range (3.3-5v), so wandering readings are most likely to be faulted at the head unit. Even if a read head is splitting two codes and jumping back and forth, the software should take care of that. It sounds to me like the seller is shipping you the cheapest component to swap. Makes no sense- if the fault is found on both channels, it's not a bad read head.
When I received it one of the 15 pin plugs had been damaged as though it had been dropped or struck and I had to reforn the corner shap and clear a pin hole before I could plug it in, do you think that might be allowing electrical noise to cause an issue? I told them it had an issue but they were not convinced the issue would cause the problem. I did pull the readers and make certain nothing was out of place, it wasn't, these are glass scales.

Lathes have X and Z, Y would be a milling attachment.
Sorry man but I do heavy CAD design and flat is X and Y while vertical is Z in my brain, they already mucked me up by calling the cross feed the X and my books refer to the right to left or port to starboard carriage movement at Y, so a bit of tolerance for the ignorant is appreciated.

Sorry man but I do heavy CAD design and flat is X and Y while vertical is Z in my brain, they already mucked me up by calling the cross feed the X and my books refer to the right to left or port to starboard carriage movement at Y, so a bit of tolerance for the ignorant is appreciated.
Wait until you get to surface grinding, axis are all different.

Haven't done surface grinding, how are the axes labeled? I too found the lathe axes a bit odd, but figured there may have been some historical reasons. Don't know what they are though. Would be interesting to find out about surface grinding axes.

Haven't done surface grinding, how are the axes labeled? I too found the lathe axes a bit odd, but figured there may have been some historical reasons. Don't know what they are though. Would be interesting to find out about surface grinding axes.

Z is the spindle axis, as always. That’s the cross direction for a surface grinder.

X is the long travel.

Y is wheel height.

You know, we all think of how these things work but really its about standards and I try to follow them as much as possible so I do understand, I need to use the proper terminology, but I will need a bit of patients until I get it.... LOL, I am working on that.

Back