Decent DRO (read: reliable, but not wallet-busting) for 14x40 lathe?

The OP's lathe about the same size as the G0709. When I purchased my lathe, I bought the DRO Grizzly sells for this sized machine.

Part number H6095: http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-36-2-Axis-Digital-Readout-for-Lathes/H6095

It was installed after getting the lathe uncrated and before putting it in place. Total time was about two hours with frequent interruptions. This could be considered a grizzly branded version of the Easson ES-8A kit DROPROS sells.

G0709_dro_1.jpg
G0709_dro_2.jpg
G0709_dro_3.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a SINO , 2-axis dro for my lathe. Its been in use for a few yrs now, and happy with it, and no problems.
The SINO DRO was in the 500.00 dollar range.

My lathe came with a SINO DRO. It is accurate and if you have experience, a good unit. On the other hand if you are just learning how to use a DRO the manual is the worst Chinese to English translation imaginable. On chapters dealing with the lathe controls the heading is "Same as Lathe". Learning the ZERO function cannot be accomplished by following the manual you have to use Trial and Error.

It's been necessary to find guys who have them to begin effectively using mine.

I have a Shooting Star x,y,& z axis DRO - costs about $750 - 2 AXIS cheaper - The company is located in Canada - Great Customer service and quality product - I purchased one of these and after installing, the DRO was not repeatable - called company - returned call within the hour on a weekend. Advised what to check for - had a piece of swarf in one gear. Explained to me how to fix it and stayed on phone. Stated if this fix didn't work or have any other problem, he would overnight parts to me free. Works great now - will attempt to send pics.DRO Display.JPG
www.star-techno.com/‎

DRO Display.JPG

Any chance of posting the manual for the Shooting Star BT-3 pictured? I’m trying to find out if I can reverse the count direction for an axis. Any clues on how to do this would also be appreciated.

About 20 years ago, when I was poor and just starting out in my shop, I purchased a Shooting Star 2 axis unit for my mill at that time. The Shooting Star was a great unit. I developed a problem a couple of years later, discussed it with them, and they sent me a brand-new scale. I was very impressed with their customer service. I would give them 5 stars.

I've got a Jet GHB-1440. I'm mulling over putting a DRO on it. I've gotten along well enough so far without, but I can think of some things that I do that would be faster with a DRO. I'm not looking for Return-On-Investment here - I'm a hobbyist so I'm in it for the fun, not to recoup my costs... :)

At any rate, looking for some pointers or recommendations on a DRO that won't break the bank, but still be reliable/accurate.

I was sort of looking at this guy, but I don't know much about "DRO PROS":
http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Lathe_Digital_Readout.htm
I have this https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/dropml8x40lcd/ on my lathe and I like it, good features and easy to use.

I got a SINO in my PM12x36 lathe (installed by PM folks before delivering the lathe to me) and I then bought a SINO 3-axis for my 8x30 knee mill. Both have performed flawlessly, and if doing it all over again I would have zero hesitation to buy/get those again - great bang for the buck.

On my lathe:
View attachment 155035

And here is my knee mill:
View attachment 155036

Will
I have the same DRO on my lathe and mill also, best move I ever made.

I purchased a magnetic scales kit from DRO PROS for my 16x60 lathe. I have had one of their glass scale kits on my small 13x30 lathe and it’s been great. If I can’t get the scales clean on my Index 645 mill, I will be purchasing another kit soon for it.

Back