Decent DRO (read: reliable, but not wallet-busting) for 14x40 lathe?

jaychris

Active User
Registered
I've got a Jet GHB-1440. I'm mulling over putting a DRO on it. I've gotten along well enough so far without, but I can think of some things that I do that would be faster with a DRO. I'm not looking for Return-On-Investment here - I'm a hobbyist so I'm in it for the fun, not to recoup my costs... :)

At any rate, looking for some pointers or recommendations on a DRO that won't break the bank, but still be reliable/accurate.

I was sort of looking at this guy, but I don't know much about "DRO PROS":

http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Lathe_Digital_Readout.htm

I've got a Grizzly 1440 (G0709) and am interested in a DRO as well. My milling machine has a DRO and they're great. I've heard good things about DRO Pros and will probably go with them. They're pretty easy to get on the phone and will answer email.

I bought a DRO from Dropros several years ago & I've been pleased with it.

I bought a DRO Pro unit ( 2 or 3 years ago) for my mill and am 100% happy with it. I am going to buy one for my lathe for my birthday. :))
schemer

I have a 3 axis DROPro unit on my mill. If my lathe ever needs a new DRO it will be a DROPro unit. I have had mine for 2 years and it has been excellent. Their service and tech support is and has been superb.

Randy

Great thread, as I also want a DRO for the lathe (and the mill too) and have been looking at the DRO Pro ones for a couple of years now. From all the digging their prices are about as low as you are going to find for a new unit (not including the little caliper sliding ones). Now that I get to see others posting that have bought and used them I feel a lot more comfortable about dropping the money on one. Just need to do a bit more saving :)

the DRO-Pros looks great and I hear nothing but good things about both the product as well as the company/support. unfortunately at ~$1k it was just out of reach for my hobby use.

I ended up with a half priced unit (NEW) which works great. like you I wasn't so much looking at return on investment - just a way to make things easier to better use my limited shop time to actually make parts as opposed to be chasing dials.

I wrote along the install process here if you are interested to check it out:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/15934-New-DRO-Install-on-a-G0619-SX3

For a lathe install, the DRO-pros magnetic scales do have the advantage that they can be cut to length (cross slide) and be easier to install, but I'm sure you can figure out a way to install any scale on the lathe if you put your mind to it.

I installed A DROPRO with magnetic scales on my Jet 1340W lathe last January. Very happy.

Ken

I bought a SINO , 2-axis dro for my lathe. Its been in use for a few yrs now, and happy with it, and no problems.
The SINO DRO was in the 500.00 dollar range.

I got a SINO in my PM12x36 lathe (installed by PM folks before delivering the lathe to me) and I then bought a SINO 3-axis for my 8x30 knee mill. Both have performed flawlessly, and if doing it all over again I would have zero hesitation to buy/get those again - great bang for the buck.

On my lathe:
dscf3731.jpg

And here is my knee mill:
DSCF3578.JPG

Will

Back